Chinese-Forums

Differences between southern chinese and northern chinese?

Peeter

One year I moved from far south (Zhuhai) to far north (Harbin) and found just the opposite: Strangers were much more likely to strike up a casual conversation in Harbin than in Zhuhai. Surprised me, but it was a very striking contrast. I realize it may not be wise to generalize from such limited experience.

From my observations, Harbin people are much more friendly and likely to chat and make friends, however the people of the south seem much more assertive.

And Imron is right, 2007 is a long time ago.

From my observations, Harbin people are much more friendly and likely to chat and make friends, however the people of the south seem much more assertive.

You are totally right. Even most of Chinese admit that north people are more straightforward and likely to chat than south people. And among those north people, north-east (including Harbin) people are the most... There is a famous funny song "东北人都是活雷锋" which vividly portray the north-east guys. Hope you understand the meaning of “活雷锋” :-)

• 8 months later...
  • New Members

This topic is interesting. I will talk about my experiences. First of all, I am a girl from Guangdong with ancestral origins somewhere in Henan. It's a crazy myth my father and his forefathers planted in my head but I will assume it's true. People normally don't think I'd be a Southerner because I am average height, 165 cm and pretty fair for a Chinese with a high nose bridge, even more pronounced than for a Northerner. But I want to say that I'm proud to be a Southerner. But no, I eat rice and sweets everyday. And no, I don't eat foods like bugs or human embryos. However, one time my friend from Harbin asked if I ate dog paws. I was like, "Wtf!" I think he ate it but I never did. That's just... yuck. I don't even eat pork.I think doufuhua or doufunao should be sweet, not salty. I argue this with Northerners all the time. Yes, most Northerners eat lamb too while Southerners do not. Anyway, the majority of my friends are Northerners from like Beijing up to Dongbei. I don't know why I am so fated to be with Northerners. It is awkward... I want to go with the stereotype that Northerners do seem more traditional. Taller? Yes but not all. Fair? So-so. Just okay. Are Southerners short and dark? Yes but not all. I've seen some fair and tall ones. Do Northerners eat less starcy products? Yes.... They eat a lot of noodles and mantou. I remember my BJ friend once told me (we were in USA) and he said, "Why are American mantous so sweet? It tastes bad". I told him he's crazy. He even told me to quit drinking soda.......Gr!!! Another stereotype is that, Southern boys shower with their underwear on. My friend from Jilin has seen it before and his roommate was from Jiangsu (Although areas in Jiangnan are technically central China). This is, maybe! Do Northerners tend to be direct? Yes. Haha one time I insulted my Jilin friend using some northern slang and he went, "Oh My! You just talked like a Northeasterner!" I suppose Northerners are good at politics but political science is my major so... that stereotype is thrown out the window as well. Are Southerners good at business? Yes. Look at Li Jiacheng, richest man in Asia who's from Chaozhou Guangdong or perhaps people from Wenzhou. Needless to say, stereotypes exist but it seems so mixed that I don't think it really matters anymore.

• Like 2

this is purely hearsay, but I've "heard" southern Chinese are '怂' and are good at talking a bunch of smack, but not actually *starting* a physical altercation...obviously *Northerners were saying this...heh.

*(possibly intoxicated..)