Chinese-Forums

Secret 不能說的秘密

skylee

I saw this film today. It is Jay Chou's debut as director. There is nothing special about the film, not the story, not the acting, not the images; but I like it immensely. It is such an ordinary film, but at the same time very likeable. I think it has to do with the chemistry between Chou and the leading actress, and their playing the piano throughout the film. And the ending is 'deadly' romantic.

I think Chou always looks very vulnerable, both in this film and in 黃金甲.

Watching this film I kept saying to myself, "嘩周杰倫真不得了". He plays a highschool student quite convincingly IMHO. And the film has that typical sweet and pure Taiwan feel. (This is my Taiwan impression - 純純的, 土土的.)And when the credits began to roll, the girl sitting next to me said to her friend in mandarin, "好好看喔" (oh even in HK there are mandarin speakers everywhere). And I agree with her.

I am glad that I've seen this film. Films like this make cinema-going worthwhile. Recommended.

Trailer -> http://202.85.147.176/broadcast/trailer/SecretTrailer1.mpg.WMV

xinsrc_54207041109069841641237.jpg

I must say I had very, very low expectations of this movie. Jay Chou is a singer, and he does sing really well, but he is not that great an actor. He did good in Initial D, but in 黃金甲 he was mostly Jay dressed up in old armor. And now he's going to direct? Can't be good.

But with this recommendation, perhaps I'll go see this movie.

That's interesting, I felt the complete opposite to Lu. I thought Initial D was dead boring and Jay's acting was disappointing or at least nothing special (perhaps evidence that musicians should stick to what they are good at).

I'd decided not to bother seeing 黃金甲 to avoid further disappointment but my housemate rented it and after watching it, I thought Jay actually did a good job. In anycase my issues with the movie had nothing to do with Jay.

I haven't seen 不能說的秘密 yet, but I'm really curious to see how he is as a director. Honestly... musician, actor, director... the man has far too much energy for his own good.

• 2 weeks later...

Transformers was sold out again, And my girlfriend and I saw it.

She cried in the middle of it , but she cries at lots of movies. I thought the mystery and mystique about it was the best part of the movie, The intergration of the piano playing to was cool as well.

I wanted more piano duels and other types of things that could be good.

Plus he never played rugby with his "friends"

The twist toward the end was good, plus the action of him sneaking into the building that was about to be demolished had some good special effects.

The bicycle riding romance reminded me of another old Hong kong love story that was good . I forgot the name but it was singer turned movie star and she was from Guangzhou and sold tapes of a particular singer.

I remember the riding in the rain. Also Bejing bicycle as some romance with the bicycle as well I think.

Also Jay Mandarin was quite standard, on some of his CD's his words are hard to catch if you don't have the lyrics in front of you. (Chinese people have confirmed it is not just me).

Worth seeing in the cinema I think.

Nice pick Skylee, and other recommendations?

have fun,

SImon:)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to seeing this movie and I really liked it.

Nicely shot and touching. The "action" sequence was a bit melodramatic, but I confess (like a true soap addict) I shed tears, which was unfortunate because my make up wasn't tear proof. C'est la vie.

Don't know what anybody else thinks about this, but I feel like Jay portrays pretty much the same character in each of his films. I'm not really complaining because I found him extremely likeable and sweet in this movie. In fact I found the whole cast likeable, especially his dad, who was a bit of a nutter and very funny. And I think Skylee was right, the chemistry between the leads is good.

I know it is probably a bit late to say this now, but I'd recommend seeing it on the big screen.

Two thumbs up.

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw this movie and I loved it. It was a bit slow-going at first (mostly because I wasn't paying attention from posting on these forums) but then I caught the plot and it alone was interesting enough for me to give it more attention.

I personally don't think Jay Chou is a great actor and seems to only have one look about him, all the freaking time. Nicholas Cage is a better actor, and that isn't saying much. However, he does fit certain roles well, this being one of them and another being that of Takumi in Initial D. However, Intial D The Movie was downright awful. It wasn't because of Jay but because it was simply just a really lousy movie and plot. Curse of the Golden Flower wasn't too hot either. Jay was his monotone self which didn't lend well to making his character great but I didn't feel the movie was great either. So they both kinda sucked.

Anyway, loved the movie. Great song too. Definitely recommend. I even want to buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

My mum just brought me back the DVD and I am listening to the credits right now. The film was a lot better than I thought it would be; I've heard good things about it on the internet, plus I like Jay Chou already haha. Gui Lun Mei annoyed me a little but the whole twist in the end was gobsmack pow-awesome!

My favourite scenes were when he was dancing with his dad :D it was sweet! I loved the whole connection between his Dad, Xiao Yu and Xiao Lun. Also, this is the first Chinese film I have watched without English subs (I watched the chinese subs! Becuase my listening cannot decipher Jay Chow's Taiwanese accent lol...and they all speak waaaay too fast!) I was surprised by how much I understood, even though there were times when I didn't understand lol.

Now I think I shall run into town and go see my chinese friend of which I have seen very little lately, lend her the Jay Chow CD I said I would and lend her this DVD as an added bonus!

• 2 months later...

I am going to try and hold myself back here especially since I can be quite critical of some movies and especially this type! But that was an absolutely AMAZING movie. Yeah the basis for the story line is a bit on the original but not original side but it was done in such an excellent way that I was 陶醉ing the entire movie. That is going on one of my favorites list!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I watched “Secret" (不能说的秘密) (Taiwan) and liked it very much. It's a romantic story with Sci-Fi and mystery elements, if I can describe it so.

If you like Chopin's music, then you'll like it even more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_%282007_film%29

200px-Secret-Bunengshuodemimi2.jpg

I watched for the Chinese dialogues, they speak a standard Mandarin, I could follow many dialogues.

I've got soft subtitles - both Chinese and English. Will publish here soon, very useful.

Both :) They are in Unicode format with .srt extension. As this extension is not allowed, I will need to rename to txt before attaching.

They are at home. Will publish from home when I have a chance.

A friend gave me this movie (RMVB) with built-into the frame Chinese simplified subtitles. I am sure if you search you can find a download, maybe on eMule or on verycd.com site.

When I loaded English subs, I could see both. Watched twice (showed my wife as well). Second time focused more on Chinese subs.

I use Total Player, which allows to add subtitles and control their position.

I could follow many dialogues.

I should've said I could follow some dialogues. :oops:

However, I found this beneficial for my learning Mandarin, albeit the Taiwanese variety.