Chinese-Forums

Database Error

muyongshi

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm currently trying to clear my inbox of several thousand automated error reports, seems like a server problem caused a bit of trouble. Hopefully back to normal now.

Muyongshi, are you getting any specific error message? Or just a generic 'database error'. If there's anything specific can you email it to admin@ when it happens - it seems this happens to you more often. I can see that there have been almost daily episodes of this, but it's normally something like a minute at a time and it would be unusual for any one user to repeatedly come across it. Plus it shouldn't require logging back in, hence I'm wondering if there's something else at work (though I have no idea what :mrgreen:)

Well, someone's got to be unlucky. Fortunately, it's not me :wink:

Sometimes database records can get mixed up and cause problems, but I've only seen it happen with topics before, never a user so I doubt it's that Usage figures are up quite a bit (maybe 25% over the last couple of months) so it's also possibly we're outgrowing the current hosting set up.

As for this particular episode, seems to be associated with a massive number of requests from someone in the Ukraine. IP ban in place . . .

• 3 weeks later...

I've made a few changes to try and stop this happening - had the hosting company up the number of connections to the database we have, and also banned a few of the less friendly search engine indexers (the kind that think it's amusing to download the entire site in five minutes and then send us one visitor per year by way of a thank you).

I'm also going to be keeping a closer eye on the error reports now, but if you have any issues do let me know - squeaky wheels get the oil, after all.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep.

Number of database errors has dropped significantly since I made the changes mentioned above - I haven't seen a single one. I get emailed reports, we're averaging 20 a day, all due to server restarts. I do see timeouts now and then, but I seem to get those on a number of websites, particularly international ones and I wouldn't be too worried unless I was getting consistent reports from people closer to the server - ie, the US or UK (server is in Manchester).

Do flag them up when you notice them, at least if it lasts more than a minute or two - although I do get emails every time there's an error they get filtered into a 'don't need to read' folder and I'm not necessarily checking that every day.

That said, when you do get a database error message, don't sit there pressing F5 - that ain't helping :mrgreen: