Chinese-Forums

Answering Negative Questions

Ian_Lee

There is a striking difference between English and Chinese in answering negative questions.

For example, if you are asked in English:

You aren’t tired, are you?

If you are not tired, you will answer:

No, I am not.

But in Chinese, you have to answer:

Yes, not tired.

You aren’t tired, are you?

If you are not tired, you will answer:

No, I am not.

But in Chinese, you have to answer:

Yes, not tired.

that's because in chinese, we negate the words itself, and vice versa. but in english we negate the fact.

你不累,吧?

是的,我不累!

------------------------------

你不累,吧?

不是,我累!

=================

You aren't tired, are you?

No, I am not.

------------------------------

You aren't tired, are you?

yes, I am.

When I travelled in Asia and spoke to people in English they answered me in the manner you describe (yes I'm not tired). Very confusing, in the beginning it made me repeat my question several times. Only later I figured out why people replied like that :D

还有

我无时无刻不在想念你。

我时时刻刻都在想念你。

All has the same meaning.

oh, yes, but mean time, it reminds me that in some taiwan(hongkong?) tv series, i found they use 无时无刻 in a different way, they say:

我无时无刻想念你

我无时无刻地想念你

in mainland, we would consider it failed understanding of 无时无刻, but does these really exist in taiwan/hongkong, or they were just simple grammar mistakes?

I am still confused about the double negation used by our soul brothers. Do they really mean yes or no?

Ian_Lee, are you talking about such construction as: "I ain't got nothing to say"? If so, an historical tidbit I can present is that English has been unstable in this respect for perhaps a thousand years or so. In standard Middle English, double and triple negatives were required, just as in Romance languages. Old English, Middle English, and Modern English were based on different regional standards and have flip-flopped on various grammatical points.

Some languages like Japanese freely use negatives to cancel each other out and create positives. Some language like Chinese do not use them so freely, but follow the same logic. Latin used double negatives to mean "many" (i.e., "not no one" or "non nullus"). Is this perhaps the reason 不時 bu4 shi2 means "frequently" rather than "never"?

Other languages use multiple negatives to reinforce each other and even require such constructions. French uses "personne" to mean "person" when used as a noun, but it means "nobody" when used by itself out of context. In Spanish (but I think not in Portuguese) "en absoluto" looks like it should mean "absolutely" or "in the absolute case," but it means "absolutely not." Much regional English in the U.S. has begun to go down this road, even though standard English has not.

• 2 weeks later...
You aren’t tired, are you? If you are not tired, you will answer:

No,i'm not

Definitely Chinese will not confuse with this negative question at all.

Part A. --->

-Existing Fact-This's my TV SET. -

Now someone is asking you in Chinese ->

Q:zhege shi nide dianshiji ma? -Is this your TV SET ?

A:shide,shi wode. -Yes,it is.

Q:zhege bushi nide dianshiji ma? -Isn't this your TV SET ?

A:shide,shi wode. -Yes,it is.

Part B. --- >

-Existing Fact-This isn't my TV SET.-

Now someone is asking you in Chinese ->

Q:zhege shi nide dianshiji ma? -Is this your TV SET ?

A:bu,bushi wode. -No,it isn't.

Q:zhege bushi nide dianshiji ma? -Isn't this your TV SET ?

Q:bu,bushi wode. -No,it isn't.

Let's come to a conclusion: There is NO Difference when answering those type of Negative Questions in Chinese as much as it does in English Custom.

A Tip : Whatever they are asking you in a negative way in Chinese,keep it in mind the Question itslef is NOT important at all,but you only have to Answser them according to the existing facts,this will not confuse nobody.

To Ian_Lee,you have learnt incorrect Chinese Expressions.

ever00t:

shi wode. -Yes,it is.

The correct translation of this Chinese answer should be "Yes, (it) belongs to me."

bu,bushi wode. -No,it isn't.

The correct translation of this Chinese answer should be "No, (it) doesn't belong to me."

Your level of Chinese language seems okay. But apparently you have not taken any translation course.

> Q:zhege bushi nide dianshiji ma? -Isn't this your TV SET ?

Q:bu,bushi wode. -No,it isn't.

Ever00, you seem to be "disagreeing" with a widely reported and well known set of facts about Chinese.

A real dialogue between my Taiwanese wife and our son:

Q: 你是不是很不想去學校

A: 對

And between me and my son:

Q: You're not really hungry, are you?

A: Yes.

His answer Yes (meaning No!) reflects the fact that at this point his command of Chinese is way superior to his English :(

A Tip : Whatever they are asking you in a negative way in Chinese,keep it in mind the Question itslef is NOT important at all,but you only have to Answser them according to the existing facts,this will not confuse nobody.

well, then lets see this one:

这个不是你的电视机,对不对?

不对,这是我的。

and

这不是你的电视机吧?

不,这是我的。

or

非也,这就是我的!(搞笑版)

This conversation took place yesterday between me and a colleague -

SKY - 你今日唔係直接返屋企呀呵? (You aren't going home directly today, right?)

Colleague (nodding) - 係呀. (That's right)

SKY - 你今日唔係直接返屋企呀呵? (You aren't going home directly today, right?)

Colleague (nodding) - 係呀. (That's right)

39 -去边度啊?(so where are you heading for?OMG, i m afraid neither the cantonese nor english are correct. also it's not private right? :tong )