Chinese-Forums

Chinese beer + Sichuan food = really bad headache?

cdn_in_bj

Yanjing strikes again. Had maybe 2-3 small glasses of this over dinner last night, and started to get a splitting headache which is still here this morning.

I think I've found the solution to Chinese beer and headaches:

Preview_54.jpg

Laugh if you may, but to me this "yanjing wu chun" doesn't taste any worse than the regular Chinese beers. It only contains 0.5% alcohol so you won't get a buzz, but there's no headache either. Of course, I'll have to repeat the experiment a few more times before I can declare it a success. :)

So it contains 0.5% alcohol and says alcoholfree in big letters on the label? This country keeps on surprising me.

I know it seems contradictory, but even amongst the western breweries it is common to have "alcohol-free" beer that contains 0.5% alcohol - very few are truly 0%. Even fruit juice contains a tiny bit of alcohol.

Maybe the beer is to blame if you are allergic.

If so, all beers are to blame, but not necessarily Chinese beer only. As matter of fact, beer is one of the things Chinese learned from Westerners.

I like it very much.

A bottle of beer a day, keeps the doctor away.

Maybe the beer is to blame if you are allergic.

In my case, I don't think it's an allergy to beer in general, but rather a sensitivity to impurities leftover from the brewing process which are not filtered out as well as in other western beers. And as I wrote previously, I only get this reaction with Yanjing beer.

If so, all beers are to blame, but not necessarily Chinese beer only. As matter of fact, beer is one of the things Chinese learned from Westerners.

I like it very much.

Me too!

A bottle of beer a day, keeps the doctor away.

You do bring up a good point, that when consumed in moderation, beer has many health benefits.

Like I said previously, I'll usually only get this reaction with Yanjing beer, so I don't know what it is that they do differently.

Is it possible that some ingredients in the beer should become inactive as time goes shortly after the production, but Yanjing sometimes goes to the dinner table too fast?

I know a foodstuff called “黑木耳” (black fungus) . There is a photo-sensitive content in it that slowly become inactive. So too fresh harvest is not the good one to eat.

• 1 month later...

Well my first trip to MeiShan in Sichuan. I had to drink with the family, I found drinking bean milk during help a lot. Now drinking home made rice wine is fun while there, but the morning after. WOW, bless the one who made the bean milk. :mrgreen: