Chinese-Forums

Studying in Taiwan or China (used the search function)

Someguy

Ping is not pingmi, 1 ping = 3.3 m2.

As to religious culture, in the half year I've lived here now, I've ran into three religious parades without even trying. That's not to mention the many tables with offerings that were on the street during ghost month; the baibai with paper money burning twice a month; that time they filled a cinema with statues of Mazu for the premiere of Mazu the movie; the many monasteries (where else do you run into nuns on the MRT).

Religious is a hard to define word, but if you want to see Chinese religion (whatever exactly that is) in action, Taiwan is a better place to go than China.

I will talk about the holidays and festivities in Taiwan also. For most Chinese, holidays mean eating. Eating with family, eating with friends, etc. Each holidays had special food and special customs. Most people in Taiwan still practices these holidy customs and rituals to a certain degree. I will bet more percentage of people in Taiwan still remember to sprinkle Xun-Huang wine around the house and on top of their kids' heads than the percentage in mainland China. It's possible that some of these customs were performed behind the scene or not quite as emphasized as 30 years ago. I think more Taiwan kids or young people would have experienced and know these customs than the ones in mainland China.

When you study in Taiwan, please pay attention to the details of what the locals do in certain holidays and what showed up in the grocery market and stores. You could asked people about the strange items and foods that showed up during those times. I think you will learn more Chinese customs that way.

I remember when I was growing up in Taipei. During Chinese New Years, almost all the shops and restaurants were closed for the New Years. However, many of Chinese families who knew westerners would invite them to their homes to have the Chinese New Years with them. Some of these westerners were actually more like strangers. I read about foreign students and visitors in Taiwan reported being invited by their hotel operators, landlords, or even shop owners they meet a few times a week to their homes to have the Chinese New Years with them because they were worried that these foreigners would have no food to eat and no where to buy any. Although there are more shops open nowadays during the Chinese New Year, I think people still do this in Taiwan.

I remember when I was growing up in Taipei. During Chinese New Years, almost all the shops and restaurants were closed for the New Years. However, many of Chinese families who knew westerners would invite them to their homes to have the Chinese New Years with them. Some of these westerners were actually more like strangers. I read about foreign students and visitors in Taiwan reported being invited by their hotel operators, landlords, or even shop owners they meet a few times a week to their homes to have the Chinese New Years with them because they were worried that these foreigners would have no food to eat [/b']and no where to buy any. Although there are more shops open nowadays during the Chinese New Year, I think people still do this in Taiwan.

Awww...doesn't that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? :mrgreen: I daresay, that's incredibly cute.

is the nightlife any good in taiwan? whats the average price of a beer there? averages for places like night clubs, expat bars, normal bars, cheap bars and on the street. in fact, is there much of a street food culture in taiwan?

I haven't been back to Taiwan in quite a number of years since my last visit but I'll be heading there at the end of the month for about six days so maybe I can come back and give some more commentary and insights on Taipei nightlife later. That said, judging by what my good friends have said, I reckon Taipei nightlife is at least par for the course with any large metropolitan city such as Shanghai or Hong Kong. Undoubtedly, there'll be a few small cultural differences stemming from each cities recent history of development, but all cities are modern, have tons of young people, and are fairly international.

Though, ahem, I'm hoping the talent there is better than Hong Kong. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I have to say Hong Kong was incredibly disappointing compared to Shanghai.

Well, ANYWAY, as for street food, I seriously think Taiwan has a far better street food culture than China and Hong Kong. If I remember the night markets there correctly, it is PARADISE (if you're into street food that is). I can't wait to gorge myself on BOBA! :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...

Hey again! I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to this thread, all of your posts have been very helpful. I realize this response is not timely, I needed to take care of some other things and this thread kind of slipped my mind. Anyway I thought I would let you all know I have decided to go to China (most likely Beijing not sure yet though). Reason being I think the politics and social changes going on in China will be very interesting to observe and hopefully write about. Plus,as others brought up, it will be a lot less expensive which will make my savjngs go further. Anyway thanks again to all those who replied, it really helped me make this decision.