Chinese-Forums

New here, Made up a Chinese name!

王火星..

And because you are not a real Chinese, too Chinese name is not fit for you.
So how come you use the name Gary, and not yraG or something?

Or are you not Gary? (Forgive my asking, but he loves me, so I'm very curious to know who he is!)

And I'm an English major, and it's convenient for me to have an english name in colleague time.Moreover, I love number 7, so I chose G as the start letter. If you love Manchester United, you know there is a backfield ,gary nev. We have the same position, right in the match. And i also like the Chinese meaning for gary. Ok, so clear now??:cry:

Actually, I find this statement quite mean. I always feel sorry for foreigners who for some reason have acquired awkward and foreign-sounding Chinese names. (Just like I can feel sorry for some Chinese with ludicruous English names.)

As long as you guys can pick a random English name for interacting with foreigners, I believe that anyone who's putting the effort into learning Chinese has the right to pick a decent-sounding Chinese name which he or she can use when interacting with Chinese people. :roll:

I can understand "Gary"'s logic, but I don't think he's right. By all means, call yourself 王, you're right that it makes sense with Roy as a first name. Oh and "Gary", by the same logic you are not a real Englishman, so you shouldn't have a name as English as Gary.

(I wouldn't go with 紅星 though, it's very communist ('red star'), you'll sound like a Chinese born in the CR. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but it's a bit strange I think. Better pick something more neutral [and modern].)

Hmm, I wonder what the 'real' Chinese standard is by the way....maybe our consulting English major can englighten us on that too.

Anyhoo, down the line, you can change your name as often as you like....I personally have always been tempted to convert my entire name into 15+ characters just for fun....or maybe just to 4 characters, i.e. even give yourself a 'minority' sounding name that could be fun..make people think twice, like maybe you are actually a Chinese minority from the west....yes indeed....faar faaaar west:wink:

Yeah, and I wouldn't use the red star name either... I was just throwing it out there for fun:mrgreen: (sorry it was a Friday...must have had a bit too much caffeine, I usually try to limit my not so helpful responses..that one must have sneaked through)

However, in the long run people will probably just end up calling you 小 something or rather anyway, so whatever name you pick isn't going to be as big of a deal as you think:mrgreen: