Chinese-Forums

loving the food prices!

slapshotfleury1

i love how cheap the food is here in shanghai..you can get a pretty good meal for less than 20 rmb at many places...obviously there are expensive places as well, but for the most part the pricing is unbelievable ....unfortunately i have to go back to college in america in a week and start paying at least $10 for a decent meal..

20 RMB spent on a meal is basically impossible for us students. we normally just need 5~8 RMB to cover a not bad meal eating at the students' dining hall or small restaurants around campus. and we are still complaining about the food price going up insanely.

with 15 RMB,I can get fish, a plate of fruit salad, two eggs, rice and porridge for free in a local self-service Tanwan resaturant Blue and White which I don't find in shanghai.

with 4 RMB, I find the most delicious dumplings (6/per yuan) I've ever tasted dans la rue de Zhameng in shanghai. or maybe I just like the ambience there.:mrgreen:

haha trust me, even if food prices in china continue to rise it will be a long time before its as expensive as in the US. the cheapest thing u can get in america is a small, crappy burger or fries on the dollar menu at mcdonalds. usually to get a complete meal at a fast food place you need 5-6 dollars. usually around campus it takes 9-10 dollars. keep in mind this is dollars, not rmb! plus i'm sure the cafeteria food in china is much better than in america...you guys are so lucky haha

Foreigners are often "lucky" if they go from a rich country to a poorer one.

The food in Beijing is cheap to me (living and working in London) but is expensive to the majority of Chinese. I may think spending 50RMB is dirty cheap for a meal out in Beijing, but for most of the workers (mainly imported from the countryside) they queue up for their gruel/congee handout out of necessity.