Chinese-Forums

Help me with my English name!~

dufresne

I'm Chinese.

The company I'll work for request me to have an English name.

Unfortunately I have no idea about English names.

So,any one can help me?

I want to have a name means like "冯虚御风" ,whitch meas floating in the sky with no underprop ( as I think).

Thanks a lot for your attention.

Unfortunately, most English names are so far removed from their original meanings that most people won't know them.

So I'd recommend a common modern name you like and not something too extravagant. I don't think there is (or has been) a proper English name that means "floating in the sky with no underprop".

If you really wish a name with a meaning of flying, you could pick a common name related to a bird. Like Robin (works for either sex).

Since you're getting a name to ease your communication with others, I think a common name is much better than a rare word which may carry the meaning you want, but may sound ridiculous to native speakers.

Thank you! Thank all of you!

My neglect. I'm a male.My Chinese name is 刘超武(Liu Chao Wu).

I adore Andy Dufresne,so I use Dufresne as my user id.

But it seems that Andy sounds like a girls name(Learned from The Shawshank Redemption ). That's why I didn't name myself Andy.

Actually,冯虚御风 does not exactly means floating in the sky.Not that simple.It's an abstruseness ideology whitch 庄子,a great ideologist of Old China,insist on.I can't express it clearly in English,even not in Chinese.

So ,I had better choose an popular name I think.

I think a common name is much better than a rare word which may carry the meaning you want, but may sound ridiculous to native speakers.
I agree completely. The other thing is just to insist on using the Pinyin of your Chinese name, which if you don't want an English name, is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Never mind those 3 names I picked out above, I was just messing around. Actually, many Chinese people pick English names that sort of sound like their Chinese name. For instance your first name in English would be "Chaowu" which sort of sounds like "Charlie" or "Charles".

If you’re female, then I like the name, Flo. It’s pronounced the same as “flow” and is suggestive of the word “float.”

But this name has more of a feminine flow, so if you’re a guy, then you might try Leo, which is a strong, masculine name, and it's short for the very distinctive name, “Leonard.”

What’s the connection, you ask? Okay, here it is: 流 (pinyin is “Liu2”) pronounced something like Leo, and in Chinese means: Flow.

Here's another connection:

Leo also sounds short for Lynyrd, and Lynyrd Skynyrd was a famous southern rock band that wrote the song, "Free Bird." So, with the name, Leo, you can think of yourself as Free Bird.

What do you think? Do I win a 包子?

But it seems that Andy sounds like a girls name
Although there are some girls called Andy (e.g. Andie MacDowell - note the more feminine spelling for the female version), Andy is primarily a guy's name, and is usually short for Andrew. Andrew is definitely a guy's name, so you could use that if you were worried that Andy was too feminine.

Where in the Shawshank Redemption did you get the impression that Andy is a girl's name?

The other thing is just to insist on using the Pinyin of your Chinese name

That's OK. But the company wants an English name.So I have to get one.

For instance your first name in English would be "Chaowu" which sort of sounds like "Charlie" or "Charles".

That' a good choice.

Thank you!~

Wow this company seems pretty anal about the english name thing... is it a company from an english speaking country? The only reason I ask is because pretty much all the companies I know (of which there are oh so many... at least 4 :mrgreen:) would not mind using the pin yin for your "english" name...

And what would happen if you told them that your "English" name was Chaowu?

I don't think I will be fired.:mrgreen:

Wow this company seems pretty anal about the english name thing... is it a company from an english speaking country? The only reason I ask is because pretty much all the companies I know (of which there are oh so many... at least 4 ) would not mind using the pin yin for your "english" name...

Haha~

It's funny to say "anal".In the dictionary it means 肛门的, 近肛门的......

Maybe the company is not that strict. Maybe I just thought too much.

if you’re a guy' date=' then you might try Leo, which is a strong, masculine name, and it's short for the very distinctive name, “Leonard.”

What’s the connection, you ask? Okay, here it is: 流 (pinyin is “Liu2”) pronounced something like Leo, and in Chinese means: Flow.

Here's another connection:

Leo also sounds short for Lynyrd, and Lynyrd Skynyrd was a famous southern rock band that wrote the song, "Free Bird." So, with the name, Leo, you can think of yourself as Free Bird.[/quote']

This is strange. For me, Leo brings to mind a lion and nothing else, definitely not a free bird. And Leo Liu sounds strange and reminds me of Humbert Humbert in Lolita.