Chinese-Forums

Help me with my English name!~

dufresne

This is strange. For me, Leo brings to mind a lion and nothing else, definitely not a free bird. And Leo Liu sounds strange and reminds me of Humbert Humbert in Lolita.

Ouch. There goes my 包子. Let me see if I can salvage this …

How about Leon Liu or Lenny Liu or Leonardo Liu?

Still sounds more like a lion than a free bird? … then how about Jay (as in blue jay) … Jay Liu?

Woo, this is a tough flock! I’m flying this coop!

Alliterating names always sound a bit strange to me, but it seems to happen quite a lot when Chinese people pick a name that corresponds to their family name instead of to their given name. Li Oufan => Leo Ou-fan Lee comes to mind.

I'd go with either Chaowu (since that is your name already) or Charles. Charles Liu, sounds good, decent English name. Won't go out of style, yet you won't run into a lot of people with the same name.

If your name is Chao Wu, you could look for an English name that sounds roughly like Chao Wu.

Joey

Jerry

George

Charlie

I feel that it's the simplest and least painful way. Those who know you well can pronounce your name properly, others use the English variant which sounds close enough.

I've seen many Chinese born people pick a really awesome sounding word with awesome connotations as their name, but it often sounds really odd as a given name. Like "Hawk" or "Falcon" or "Celeste". It is really unfortunate. How can you take someone seriously if their name is "Falcon"? :)