Chinese-Forums

Chinese name 天理

so.many.words

After some time in China a friend assured me that I needed a Chinese name and referred to me as clear-thinking and logical:roll:.

My male name is Tony so I think 天理 Tian1li3 might be a good fit. Logic has a lot to do with the work I do ...and would ask if such a reference in this name makes sense to you.

天理 and surname 马 (马 天理)

or is it

天 理 Tian-Li

I thought it best to be sure as I will use this name a lot in my work and travels.

In addition I found a couple of ma tianli's on google ...that one is a skinny long-haired lead-base in a black thrash band called 'Ressurection' is pretty cool and may be something for me to aspire to....8)

谢谢 大家

After some time in China a friend assured me that I needed a Chinese name and referred to me as clear-thinking and logical .:roll:
My male name is Tony so I think 天理 Tian1li3 might be a good fit. Logic has a lot to do with the work I do ...and would ask if such a reference in this name makes sense to you.

Hmm… 天理 means “the laws of Heaven” or “the laws of the universe.” If you have great confidence in your clear-thinking and good logic, which represent or match up to the laws of Heaven or the laws of the universe, I think 天理 is really a good fit for you. To me, 天理, as a name, sounds a bit of overstatement.

If I were you, I would use “通理 tong1 li3” as my name. As a verb, “通” can mean “master, know sth. inside out”, while “理” is “reason, logic, law, etc”, so the name “通理” means “logical, reasonable”. In my opinion, 通理 sounds more modest than 天理.

Cheers!

That is acceptable to me ...Fluffy Duck or Black Russian or a Slow comfortable @$%# against a wall (yes, these are drinks) would have raised an eyebrow though. :roll:

But not really after english associations ...with my present Tony ...I could be Bony Morone, Phoney or lonely ...but this is not really the direction I am wanting to take here.

...But don't parents give names to their children with some room for ambition.

In English there are pretentious names like (and apologies if you have this name:oops:) Xander, Charles, Farquar:lol: and Reginald or Elizabeth.

• ...Is it this kind of pretention that you think might be made of tianli ???

I have not disclosed who I am and what I might be known publically for, but what if I was a well known poet:roll:, a prince,:D, a scientist,:shock: or a business magnate 8) ...then Xander, Charles, Farquar or Reginald would be a good fit (I would be famous for something else if I was a man named Elizabeth).:conf

• ....so applying this logic then wouldn't my name 'Tianli' be a good fit. Or like a pair of pants that your mum buys for you. They are 10 sizes too big but you eventually grow into them.

and to try another angle ....what if Confucius' name was really Brian or Kevin, do you think this to be a good fit. ...And Brian says " ":mrgreen: ...And Kevin says " " :mrgreen:

• ...Or do you mean it to be that Tianli might be akin to my choosing the name Confucius ???

Also here is a pic of the Thrash-Black band 'RESURRECTION' ...The Base player is also a Ma Tianli.

• Do you think his name opened doors for him or did it earn him some giggles from the girls in the mosh-pit.

I do like the softer sound of Tian when compared to Tong ...and I also like the character much better as well. I also have a chop that was given to me as a sincere gift in China and is beautifully carved.

So besides my being a pretentious 'twit' does anyone else believe this name to be suitable or unsuitable.

1688_thumb.attach

Just thought of another two situations ...

• In English some names are generational ...
  • For example ....Henry or Margaret are names that have not been used for at least 2-3 generations. Hercules & Ulysses not for 3-5 generations and Lucius & Tiberius are the property of Roman children

• Or a name that can be difficult to have as either a child or adult
  • Toby, Cody or Timmy, Jimmy for a child can be a little more difficult for a grown man.
    And a child called Colossus, George or Reginald are again like that pair of oversized pants.

What If I said I was a professional 45 year old ...Does this matter any in the throes of Chinese names ....??? :roll:

• ...Or do you mean it to be that Tianli might be akin to my choosing the name Confucius ???

No. Oh, dear! If I had knew my previous post could make you think so much more, I ‘d prefer not to write that post. :(

What If I said I was a professional 45 year old ...Does this matter any in the throes of Chinese names ....???:roll:

No. And if you want to use 天理 as your name, I'll respect your choice. (Note: my words in my previous post are just for your reference.:wink:)

Cheers!

Frankly, you can have either 天 or 理 in your name, but a combination of both sounds way too unconventional.

It is the subtleties in Chinese around character use and then in combination that add an a further dimension to the difficulty for a foreigner to comprehend. English names are not often chosen for their symantics or meanings, and have a final quality check to make sure they fit a rythmn when combined with a surname. ... there are so many nuinces that could only be known to a native. Before anyone thinks me pedantic ...It is very hard to see from the outside ...my interest is not just a name but like those quirks in English, the undocumented rules. For those of you that have had the fun of naming your own children ...you will no doubt understand and if you are a student of Chinese then I guess you would just like to understand.

So far it looks as though the meaning of Tianli is pretentious and the characters in combination are poor ...

I still wonder how ma tianli of RESURRECTION is getting on ....

Even people in China sometimes give their kids unconventional or weird names, just like parents in other countries. There's a woman writer named 小米, a character in a TW soap series was called 英雄, and bass player 天理 might be another example. So, you wouldn't be the only one with that name. But the question is, do you want to choose a slightly strange name for yourself? If yes, then by all means call yourself 馬天理.

I am only new to Chinese forums and I have got to say you really are a stunning lot and your patience with my post has been really appreciated. :D:D:D

.. I think all the recommendations against such a name are each convincing and with each additional explanation my understanding of why is clearer. :clap

I can see you have each told me it is pretentious because of the dizzy height that the literal meaning has and I do understand.

So I will hang onto the 天 and look for another character (if anybody wants to help I would also be really grateful)

....hopefully when I post again I might be able to call upon your generosity again.:shock::shock::shock:

If I were you, I would use “通理 tong1 li3” as my name.

Studentyoung ...These characters 通理 look terrific together..:D. you are very clever..:wink: and I am very grateful..=* ....I will practice drawing them today and think that this was a great suggestion by you.

Again thank you all for being so nice :clap :clap

Sorry! I know the only thing I've been useful so far is how funny your names would sound....

But anyway the one you are thinking of mǎtōnglǐ 马通理 verses in the toilet mǎtǒngli 马桶里

I just was talking to my friend and mentioned it to them and we had a good laugh at your expense so needless to say, I'm not the only that when I thought matongli also thought in the toilet.