Chinese-Forums

Chinese name 天理

so.many.words

The mainland Chinese government have also enforced a law, where a fine of 1000 yuan can be imposed if traditional characters are used in place of the legally sanctioned simplified characters.

Well. I'm really speechless! :roll::roll::roll:

Cheers!

The mainland Chinese government have also enforced a law, where a fine of 1000 yuan can be imposed if traditional characters are used in place of the legally sanctioned simplified characters.
If anything, I would imagine that's referring to publications/official documents and the like, rather than individuals.
I guess the fact that most mainlanders can't read traditional characters
Also not so true. Reading them is usually not a big problem, writing them however is another matter.
That link works for me,
Probably because you're outside of China :mrgreen: Wikipedia is blocked over here.

Also not so true. Reading them is usually not a big problem, writing them however is another matter.

That makes sense.

Probably because you're outside of China Wikipedia is blocked over here.

Ah, I guess my 1984 allusions might have more relevance than I thought... :mrgreen:

Speaking of Wikipedia, the article on Internet censorship in the PRC says that the web browser Gollum, which strangely enough only loads web pages if they're from Wikipedia, accidentally allows users to bypass China's censorship of Wikipedia. The article says that the PRC hasn't blocked a Google search for the software (or maybe it means the web site ), but I don't know if that's true. I also don't know if it's illegal in China to view Wikipedia (using the said software, for example).

Well, the Chinese government doesn't want you to go to Wikipedia (that's why it's blocked), but they won't go out of their way to arrest you for visiting the site.

Whatever name you have, everyone is going to write it in simplified when you're on the mainland, and in traditional when you're on Taiwan. You don't really get a choice in this. What you can do is have business cards made in the font you prefer, and write your name the way you prefer. For a character like Ma, both versions will be readily recognized on either side of the Strait.

The government wants everyone to write everything in simplified. So all papers, all computers, all cellphones etc usually know only simplified. But the police is not going to look over your shoulder for everything you write, or fine you for writing traditional.