Chinese-Forums

What is this I am eating ???

so.many.words

:help

It was in the bottled Chilli section and I could not make out the characters because they are in a script but can see one for chicken 鸡 and another 椒 for hot plant. The brand is laoganma and as I write this I will try and translate and come back to this post.

It is like an oily sambal and it tastes like dried chilli with peanuts and maybe the lumps are palm sugar, there were many bottles and maybe two brands so I am guessing that it might be well known to someone.

Because it is a sambal it is not something that I can munch into and instead I take little girlie stabs at it with a knife blade.

I had some (a little) ontop of a Laksa last night ...Oh and did I say it is "Yum in my tum"

It's probably 老干妈风味鸡油辣椒. Ingredients, according to the website, are:

vegetable oil, chilli, chicken (with bones), monosodium glutamate, salt, garlic, sugar and sichuan pepper.

http://www.laoganma.com.cn/index.jsp (see products, right)

I agree it‘s pretty yummy, but then i suppose with all that salt, sugar and msg it would be.

I'm not a doctor or anything, but i don't think it will kill you. Not immediately anyway.

You can add it to stir-fries as a kind of cook-in sauce or you can use it like a condiment by adding it to food you've already served up. I have known people who eat it straight out of the jar, but i wouldn't recommend it.

You don't what is it, and you choose to eat it?

There was a picture of a person in an apron on the label, but I didnt expect there would be one in the bottle ....:roll:

You make it sound like I was rooting through a rubbish bin.

The grocery store was in Australia and I did say I was in the chilli section ...If you are a chilli person then you would understand ....if you are not then I will not understand

My word, in Asia that's almost how I live my life. I don't speak Thai but a stall was selling something obviously battered, coated in sesame seeds and deep fried. It was 10 baht (about £0.15 UKP) for a small bag full. I bought it. Why not? I'm eating them now; they're deep fried slices of plantain I think, and are very tasty.

When I first arrived in Beijing, having never been to China before, I saw what looked like a huge steamed dumpling. I remember them from Taipei and started drooling. So cheap! Bite after bite nothing apart from dough was in my mouth. Turned out I'd bought my first mantou.

04080100179.gif

If it looks like this, then it is usually used in cooking to give a chilli, salty taste. The lumpy bits are beans. It is also sometimes used as a dipping sauce on the side.

If it doesn't look like this, then you will probably die.

that's almost how I live my life.

I remember the first time I ordered my own meal in China in 1990. I thought I would be clever and spot a vegetable on the menu, not really knowing which one it would be but warm in the thought that I would not have to wring it's neck before I could bite it.

I could hear giggles coming from the kitchen and every minute or so a head would poke out from the kitchen door with a girl attached to it.:roll:

5 minutes later a single serve of eggplant cooked in a kind of soy (cannot think of the name of the dish but is a common way to cook eggplant) ...but what I did not know was that an eggplant could look like a part of the anatomy of a donkey. IT WAS HUGE!!

...and in the name of national pride, of course I had to eat it ...but I reckon I got off pretty light.

I did go out with some pretty important Chinese and because they were ordering I had things like sea-cucumber, snake, coagulated pigs blood, paws off a bear, but I think they were really off a camel (An Australian Camel as it turns out) and some things that when they look like balls:shock: you smile and hope they are fish.

My worst meal was chicken feet ...they were standing on my plate:oops:

The lumpy bits are beans

I think that's true for some varieties but not the particular one that the intial poster was referring to. There seem to be quite a few varieties that come in jars with very similar packaging:

风味豆豉油制辣椒

油辣椒

香辣脆油辣椒

辣三丁油辣椒

干煸肉丝油辣椒

精制牛肉末豆豉油辣椒

肉丝豆豉油辣椒

风味鸡油辣椒

A quick look at the ingredients suggests that a lot have beans in and one has peanuts, but the chicken one has neither.

I'm intrigued by the idea of "chicken (with bones)" though. From what I've seen of these sauces, the ingredients are all ground up very small, which implies that you might just be eating the bones along with everything else.

风味豆豉油制辣椒

油辣椒

香辣脆油辣椒

辣三丁油辣椒

干煸肉丝油辣椒

精制牛肉末豆豉油辣椒

肉丝豆豉油辣椒

风味鸡油辣椒

yep it is the last one 风味鸡油辣椒 and I have been sitting here all afternoon trying to get up the courage to try it again knowing that the big pieces might be chicken lips or bones and wondering if I should crunch them or politely put them in my napkin.

A quick look at the ingredients suggests that a lot have beans in and one has peanuts, but the chicken one has neither.

OH MY GOD ...OH MY GOD ...tell me WHAT IS IN THE CHICKEN ONE!!!!!

Quote:

There was a picture of a person in an apron on the label, but I didnt expect there would be one in the bottle ....

You make it sound like I was rooting through a rubbish bin.

The grocery store was in Australia and I did say I was in the chilli section ...If you are a chilli person then you would understand ....if you are not then I will not understand

so.many.words:

I don't mean to have any negative purpose.

I was just thinking, "wow, you have guts to eat something before know what you are eating."

yep it is the last one 风味鸡油辣椒 and I have been sitting here all afternoon trying to get up the courage to try it again knowing that the big pieces might be chicken lips or bones and wondering if I should crunch them or politely put them in my napkin.

Chicken lips? Hmm...? Well, as far as I know, chicken has a beak. Chicken lips? Hmm… It sounds quite confusing. :roll:

OH MY GOD ...OH MY GOD ...tell me WHAT IS IN THE CHICKEN ONE!!!!!
陶华碧老干妈牌风味鸡油辣椒是贵州的风味食品, 几十年来一直沿用传统工艺精心酿造,具有优雅细腻、香辣突出、回味悠长等特点。成分:菜籽油、辣椒、鸡肉(带骨) (chicken meat with bone)、味精、食盐、大蒜、白砂糖、花椒

http://cache.baidu.com/c?word=%B7%E7%CE%B6%3B%BC%A6%3B%D3%CD%3B%C0%B1%BD%B7%2C%CC%D5%3B%BB%AA%3B%B1%CC%3B%C0%CF%3B%B8%C9%C2%E8%3B%C5%C6%3B%B7%E7%CE%B6%3B%BC%A6%3B%D3%CD%3B%C0%B1%BD%B7%3B%CA%C7%3B%B9%F3%D6%DD%3B%B5%C4%3B%B7%E7%CE%B6%3B%CA%B3%C6%B7&url=http%3A//www%2Eask789%2Ecom/market/production%2Easp%3FID%3D7420&p=882a954ec7db0af50be2957c595dcf&user=baidu

Take it easy. I think those big pieces you mentioned above might be chicken meat with bones, like those you might have in KFC or McDonal's.(But Loaganma doesn't deep fry them, and that's it.) Are you feeling better now?:wink:

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I am sorry to have to add such a posting but I am certain now that my disposition for eating anything in a jar is having a serious effect upon my wellbeing and I am not sure if I can carry on. (actually I think I am very good at carrying on!! :roll:)

...there is only a tablespoon of it left, ...what am I going to do ....I live many many miles from a Chinese Grocery, and well I am just not sure I can do without this jar of chilli chicken lips (and other organs).

IT WAS BLOODY YUM!!!!!

If I made soup stock then I would add a tablespoon, if I made wontons (pan stickers) then I mixed the Loaganma with the fillings, I used it as a sambal on noodle soups, I marinated chicken in it then pan fried it, I used it as a condiment on barbecued pork, and for a snack it was great in noodles with fried egg.

Ohhh my fat little belly ....what am I going to feed you next.

Next time I go to the Chinese grocery, 我要买三瓶:wink: