Chinese-Forums

what sauce do I eat with these cold veggie rolls?

here2learn

I want to make this cold appetizer at home for some guests, but don't know what sauce to buy to eat with it:

tofu vegetable rolls?

(don't know what to call them)

It's those sheets of paper-sized, flat, but grid-marked tofu, and you put slivers of veggies in it (carrot, cukes, whatever, please give me suggestions for what to put inside) and roll it up, then slice it into bite-sized colorful wheels. You pick one up and dip it in some thick brown sauce that's not spicy, a little sweet & salty maybe. It's thick.

What's that sauce? I want to look for it in a jar at the store (or make it if I could, either would do).

And what's that cold dish called?

tofu vegetable rolls?

(don't know what to call them)

豆腐皮素菜卷?(dou4 fu4 pi2 su4 cai4 juan3)

and you put slivers of veggies in it (carrot, cukes, whatever, please give me suggestions for what to put inside) and roll it up,

Lemon grass, basil, mint leaf, mungbean noodle, etc.

You pick one up and dip it in some thick brown sauce that's not spicy, a little sweet & salty maybe. It's thick.
What's that sauce? I want to look for it in a jar at the store (or make it if I could, either would do).

It sounds like Chee Hou Sauce(柱侯酱)to me, according to your description.

http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4864 (Chee Hou Sauce)

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestions so far, and for the hanzi of those things. I've tried finding pics to show, so people could help me better, but no luck, even after entering "豆腐皮素菜卷". It's all hot dishes, the one I mean is raw, uncooked, and they end up looking like sushi but with the tofu as the outer layer and cold raw veggies inside.

I don't think it's actually "豆腐皮“,which is made from the skin of boiled soymilk, right? I think it's normal tofu in a thin layer, pressed really hard. It has gridmarks on it from being pressed. Each sheet is almost as thick as a coin, and dense, and sold in sheets like paper, like A4 paper, haha.

It's quite dry, and a little yellowish/tan, not as white as tofu. It's often cut into thin slivers and put in cold salads. I think it's called tofu paper, but my searches for that came up with nothing, or with a thin japanese sushi-making soy paper. (I can't *believe* I can't find pictures of the dish or even of that tofu! It's in lots of restaurants here! {but none near me or I'd go ask them!})

The sauce... I'll try it with other sauces, but I think it might be hoison sauce...? hai3xian1jiang4, 海鮮酱, but I'm still not sure.

Ugh! I'll just get a few sauces and try them all.:lol: I've been putting off making it unless I have the sauce to go with it. If/when I make it, I'll post a picture, then you'll all have a lovely recipe and some names of sauces squared away.:wink:

(still open for suggestions and pics)

[edit]

It's NOT the tofu skin/paper in this pic:

IMG_2644-thumb.jpg