Chinese-Forums

First Episodes 2: 空镜子, Empty Mirror

roddy

• 2 weeks later...

Update: am on episode 9 and still really enjoying it.

Totally agree with you Imron that this is from a Beijing that no longer exists, although I can't really put my finger on what it is that seems so different about it, would be interested to know your thoughts! It's obviously dated in terms of technology but when I watch it the thing that captures me the most is a sort of melancholic mood, one I think is really rooted in the past.

Language is not too complicated and I can understand at least the gist of most things. The only things that totally go over my head are the mother's references to Dream of the Red Chamber; as this is continually brought up I assume it must be a leitmotif connected to the plot as a whole or something.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just finished this series - really enjoyed it, such a good example of how good understated and realistic TV can be. 

I feel this show could be remade for the modern era without changing too much, but maybe there's not the appetite for this type of show at the moment in China (I honestly don't know). 

Thanks for for the recommendation, now to choose my next show!