Chinese-Forums

Earthquake!

imron

My dorm was trying to rock and roll here in Wuhan... it was interesting but not a violent quake, not like back in NZ in the 80s (I come from Napier which was wiped out in a big quake in 31 and has had several large violent quakes since).. this is an article on yahoo http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080512/twl-schoolchildren-killed-in-china-quake-41f21e0.html

http://news.sina.com.cn/c/2008-05-12/212815523959.shtml

四川德阳已有412人死亡成都45人死亡

http://www.sina.com.cn 2008年05月12日21:28 中国新闻网

中新社成都五月十二日电 (记者杨杰)记者从四川省地震局第五次新闻发布会获得的最新统计显示,四川省汶川县十二日下午发生七点八级地震,目前四川省共有十一个市州受灾,共计报告死亡人数增至五百九十二人,其中德阳死亡四百一十二人,成都地区死亡四十五人,绵阳死亡五十三人,广元死亡五十二人,甘孜死亡五人,阿坝死亡六人,内江死亡四人,遂宁死亡七人,眉山死亡八人。目前震区情况尚不清楚。

Let me take up the challenge to figure out why Chengdu airport was closed:

"The earthquake also disrupted air traffic control in western China, interfering with flights between Asia and Europe on Monday afternoon, although flight services were restored by the evening.

"Cathay Pacific Airways announced that it had canceled two flights between Hong Kong and London — one in each direction — and had delayed the departure of a Monday afternoon flight from Hong Kong to London by 19 hours, to Tuesday morning."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/13/world/asia/13china.html

Depressing week.

First the thing in Burma. Now this:

recent count 7,600 dead

I was at first overjoyed when I learned that the epicenter was in what was described as a sparsely populated area. I had been assuming that in a non-built up area the structures wouldn't be too large and hopefully not many people would be hurt or killed. (but not familiar with the area)

I was still overjoyed when I learned of the first four deaths and still pretty ecstatic at the secondary report of 100 deaths. Not because it's a good thing of course, but because I was expecting much more. As I said to a teacher, China got off lucky.

Wishful thinking as I said to soon. And the way these things go once it hits this kind of scale it tends to just go up. Very sad.

Tv here is reporting thousands of dead, 900 middle school students buried alive... They're playing a film filmed on a cell phone, of a student hiding under a desk, from what I understood that school also collapsed.

I figured that it would be really, really bad if it was all the way in Sichuan and the building was swaying all the way in Taiwan. The initial low number of casualties was only because that was all that was confirmed.

So sad.

Serious suckage!

Beichuan's population is 161,000, meaning about one in 10 residents were killed or injured. The county is a part of Mianyang city, and about 160 km (100 miles) from the provincial capital, Chengdu.

Source

Can you picture that in your town? 1 in 10.

Leaving the office. The work breaks to check the news are too depressing right now. In the morning I am not checking it for a while.

I'm wondering if that Beichuan figure is going to turn out to be accurate. It was originally a 估计 but is now being presented as confirmed. I don't see how a county could be both worst hit and quickest with accurate statistics. Hopefully it'll turn out to be an overestimate. The alternative is that the other counties catch up:(

Just got power on back here in Mianyang (thanks Roddy for noticing me :wink: ). It was pretty bad here but not a lot of people dead and most injuries (in city) were due to the people jumping out of there beds and running outside barefooted (idiots). No MASSIVE structural damage but enough earthquakes and some old buildings have had some big impact. Most everyone (in Chengdu as well as far as I'm being told) are sleeping outside. The last earthquake I went through was 8.6 so this was okay for me. Edit: Not doubting the Beichuan stuff, very possible, I didn't realize how close it was to wenchuan.

According to radio broadcasts as well is there are sending in volunteers to 都江堰 and surrounding areas as that is the hardest hit. Apparently Chengdu never lost power (confirm anyone??).

The biggest thing is that NO ONE here has ever gone through an earthquake so no one really knew what to do (according to a local the last big one was '76 but can't confirm). There have been a TON of aftershocks (I lost count after 10) including one just after the power came back.

I was also VERY impressed with the emergency service response here, I can't say everything but there was at least 5 cops at every intersection (major ones) helping out and it seems very orderly. The ambulance sirens are now starting to get less and less but they were definitely out and about.

If I think of anymore or anyone has questions I am being kept fairly up to date and doubt I will sleep much tonight! And this is Muyongshi reporting for Chinese Forums....stay tuned...

Shadowdh: Yeah, New Zealand's had some pretty bad ones. Hell, Wellington's built on a fault-line :D. Difference is that everyone here *knows* that an Earthquake could strike at any time, and the buildings are built with that in mind. So it'd have to be a pretty massive earthquake before anything big fell over. In China though, I don't imagine anything is earthquake-reinforced. After all, that would add quite a lot to the cost...

I'm also hearing nearly 9000 dead due to the earthquake - http://www.stuff.co.nz/4523699a10.html

Not good :(. I'm just glad my girlfriend's family all live up in Qingdao