Chinese-Forums

Earthquake!

imron

I had teary eyes a few times today and again when I saw elina's picture of the buried kids. Only a few days ago I was upset by the Myanmar cyclone and thought what if this happened in China, 100K was too many deaths, and then we got the earthquakes...

When I was in school in China, the school would show us earthquake ed videos. If I remember correctly, if it takes more than 9 seconds for you to get out, you should stay in and find cover, preferably in a small shallow room with supporting beams and walls around it, protect your head at all costs. Many times those that ran got killed and those hiding were spared. The outside walls of a building are most prone to collapsing, so avoid hiding close to those walls. Learn about the structure of your building(s) and think about what to do, where to hide in an emergency. If you can run out, cover your head as you run.

When I was in school in China, the school would show us earthquake ed videos.
Interesting, where did you go to school? Does this happen in a lot of Chinese schools?
there will be a big possibility that we will be doing digging and corpse removal.
I was a bit surprised to see that they let foreigners participate in that; the junta could learn from that.

Good luck with your work, muyongshi!

I applaud Muyongshi for going over and digging in. And I join Xiaojiang216 in asking: is there any way a non-trained foreigner (based out of Dalian) could get over there and help? Don't know what I could do, but I WANT to help. As of right now, I just haven't found a way.

Chinese news have been incredible about reporting on this earthquake. If you remember Thangshan in 1976, then you know that no news about it were supposed to leave the country. Even domestic news were largely suppressed. Rescue ops were horribly slow (adding in that Mao died during that time, diverting attention and tying up valuable human resources). This horrible catastrophe that claimed so many lives might have done its share to further open up Chinese media broadcasting.

Also, I feel that the incredible amount of patriotism that has been planted and groomed during the torch relay is being harvested right now -- and put to good use! People are donating huge amounts of money, and everybody's hearts go out to the people of Sichuan and anybody else who was effected by the quake. I just read an interesting article in the economist. http://www.economist.com/opinion/displayStory.cfm?source=most_commented&source=most_commented&source=most_commented&Story_ID=11293645&intent=readBottom&intent=readBottom&intent=postTop

One of the main points of the author(s) is that the incredible amount of patriotism that surged during the torch rely and turned into anger against everything French might be a potential threat to the Chinese government. Western scholars have always pointed out that huge waves of patriotism might pose a potential threat to the Chinese government. They proclaimed the same thing after the anti-American protests after the bombing of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade. Angry masses, united and mobilized, might start another May 4th movement, only that this time the Communist government might be the target of their anger.

But, perhaps just to spite those scholars, Heaven has conspired to turn this patriotism/xenophobia into something very positive: Love for disaster-stricken countrymen (and women). 化悲痛为力量

There is one thing left for me to criticize. CCTV has something of a "score" for some of its news reports. Last night, music was playing in the background as people were interviewed on TV. This is not like the post-911videos, since these didn't have any audio in themselves. But the CCTV report I saw yesterday was on-sight reporting, with music in the background. I found it offensive: is there any need to make this disaster appear even more dramatic? CAN it be more of a tragedy than it already has?

My heart goes out to anyone who might have lost someone and the people who are still hoping.

Randall

I heard the radio on the way in today. A little dramatic it seemed. (added sounds/music) A little distasteful I thought.

Already dramatic enough. But if it brings out support and charity then maybe it is ok. I would hope it isn't needed.

Volunteering

I applaud your desire to volunteer.

Think carefully before you do corpse recovery. Not everyone is cut out for it. Search and rescue is one thing, but body recovery is another. Until you've had to wash the smell of rotting flesh off you from the body of some little girl, you don't know how it might affect you. Or see someone's brains out from the a projectile or a metal bar come out an eye or something.

At best you can relieve the not knowing /speed up closure for a family. (important) But be aware of the risks. At worst you impair your own family's wellbeing. Some sights/smells/feelings can't be forgotten and have messed up some people for years.

What self-taught-mba said is resonable.

Not everyone fits to be volunteer in rescue work. There must be previous training and preparation.

I have a nephew in America, a student in collage is a volunteer. He get trained and has a big knapsack containing almost every thing inside, ready to drive anywhere in emergency.

I know it is foolish of me to want to go there, but I am sure many of you are itching to help out (beyond sending 捐款短信 to China Mobile). Guess it is too late anyway.

Randall.

According to the western media the Chinese Gov is being remarkably open about the earthquake, more so than in the past. I know it is not nice to say it now, but it must be a bit of a relief in Olympic year to have the western media "Bad China" stories replaced by "Poor old China" stories, so that might be why...............

I have just had an idea if anyone wants to help then why not give blood, donate clothing or something along those lines, just walked past the local blood bus and it has literally hundreds of people waiting to give blood... more were joining the que as I walked past... its quite inspiring actually and unless anyone knows of any impediment then I think I will donate...

Looks like Carrefour has been forgiven / forgotten.

There's semi-chaos in the streets, especially at carrefour supermarket where anything drinkable and a lot of what's edible has been sold out.

from Chinese blogger Leo. See here.

Have moved the discussion on vCJD, blood donating, and numerology to the Chat and Language Exchange forum. Anyone who objects can probably sweet talk another admin into moving it back.

I noticed Carrefour being praised for being very quick to make a donation to the Red Cross.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the shortages are due to stuff like bottled water and some foodstuffs being requisitioned for the relief effort. There's no doubt a fair amount of stocking up going on if people are nervous though.

Roddy, points out something. If you show up and you can't do anything you have added to the logistics problem. One of the major problems of moving people (troops) is getting enough water. If you do the math, you can't believe how much weight needs to be moved.

If anyone is close enough by and you can hump out with 50+ pounds of water/supplies on your back (and enough to sustain you!!!!) that possibly could be of immediate benefit.

But you don't want to get on transport which might clog the roads or take someone else's spot and then get there and become part of that water requisition.

I have heard that there are fewer and fewer survivors being found, and more and more corpses. Since it's been a few days, it is to be expected that the majority of those trapped under buildings did not make it.

That would be terrible if the figures are correct.

That would be terrible if the figures are correct.

Unfortunately they are correct: the Chinese government has confirmed it according to the B.B.C. It's hard to believe so many people have died. There has also been a report that the army are repairing extremely dangerous cracks in the Zipingku Dam. Hopefully the dam won't give.

The really shocking thing about these deaths is that when schoolchildren die, whole generations are being wiped out due to the one-child policy. I really feel for those families.

So Muyongshi, that is great that you could make it out there and that they have something you can do besides corpse removal.

If you have a chance can you update us as to what can be done, where help is needed? Are they really utilizing you as much as they can? etc.

Do you have any special skills btw?

What special skills are needed? I know they let in foreign niffer dog taems for example.

I am sure others would want to go. What would you say to them? Where? How?

--typed