Chinese-Forums

Picture Directory of Dishes

danqi

There are a bunch of dishes I love, but don't know the names of (any more). Do you know of a website that has something like an online-picture-directory of chinese dishes that I could look through and use to identify my favorite dishes? You know, sort of like when you're at a police station looking through pictures of criminals. :-)

I second this request. I remember a sauce in all the jaiozi shops that was like soysauce but with a slightly sour vinegar flavour. I'd love to be able to find it in the States, but don't know the name. It seems like something that would be common knowledge, but it escapes my memory. :oops: Anyone have a clue?

Thanks realmayo, that's exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, the scope of dishes on that site is very limited.

Blink: I always thought of that sauce as simply being vinegar, but now that you mention it, there must be something more to it.

I always thought of that sauce as simply being vinegar, but now that you mention it, there must be something more to it.

It's a mixture of soy sauce and vinegar. Most jiaozi places I know have both on the table for you to mix to your own taste.

• 3 weeks later...

About the dumpling sauce, a lot of restaurants make their own special dumpling sauce, some oriental stores also have dumpling sauce mixed together.

The most common dumpling sauce, which many households make is made with black vinegar, some soy sauce, and some minced garlic.