Chinese-Forums

No single safety incident has occurred related to food

realmayo

Sorry if this is frivolous but it made me chuckle. Was browsing the official olympic website (as you do....). This gem is at http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/olympiccities/beijing/n214574461.shtml.

Though you can also click through here to see how Beijing's improved sanitation impresses Netherlands crown prince

From August 7 to 21, supervisors from the Olympic food safety guarantee team stationed in the Olympic Village, the Media Village, the MPC, the IBC and all competition venues have monitored a total of 1,616,830 sets of meals, including breakfasts, lunches, dinners and late night snacks for athletes, officials and accredited media members. They did not find a single food safety issue, said Tang Yunhua, spokesperson for Food Safety Coordination at the Beijing Food Safety Administration Office.

During that period, no food safety incidents have occurred in raw materials distributed to Olympic competition venues, non-competition venues, training sites, Olympic Family hotels, hotels for VIPs, hotels that athletes use, hotels used by accredited media or Olympic food production enterprises or bases, Tang told reporters at a press conference at the Main Press Center (MPC).

I know my country brought their own cooking team for providing meals to the athletes, so I presume many other countries did the same. Obviously, as the right diet is key to competition performance.

In addition, wouldn't the major provider of food on the Olympic venues not be one of the major sponsors us westerners know so well? At least that is what I personally saw at the 2003 Special Olympics in Dublin.

Did I just know blame the cook for my country not performing so well? :mrgreen: