Chinese-Forums

A list of prices for goods at the Silk Market -- Beijing

xuechengfeng

After coming back from the Silk Market today, I thought we should compile a running list of prices we paid for goods at the Silk Market, so we can try to gauge what is "standard" if you're a good bargainer. I usually try to not leave until they agree to my price, but the sellers are near tears; however, I still feel like I get ripped off after I leave. List the goods you bought and the prices. Any tips for first-timers to China and the market would also be a good idea.

Hats - 30 kuai / pc. (10 hats for 300, buy in bulk for better discounts). For baseball caps, specifically, NY, I paid 25 kuai last year and 15 for a Billabong brand hat. However, I got hats with trendier names this time: Ed Hardy, Von Dutch, etc.

Ed Hardy Womens T-Shirts - 40 kuai / pc. I got 4 t-shirts and 2 tank tops for 240 total. I started at 30, which seems to be about the running price for polo t-shirts, but again, since this is a trendy name, most places wouldn't even consider 30.

Shoes - I didn't actually purchase any because I wanted to try lower price, but to no avail. It seems the lowest they'll go, at least for Converse and BAPE shoes is 80.

Add on...

Also see the Price Check Thread

Have a half-written Silk Market Buyer's Guide after having to help customers there one too many times. Hate that place.

Don't buy the shoes period. They will hurt your feet. Many people have been unable to wear the shoes that they buy there after finding that is hurts so much.

Don't buy the shoes period. They will hurt your feet. Many people have been unable to wear the shoes that they buy there after finding that is hurts so much.

I tend to agree. Moreover, none of the shoes I've ever bought in a market-type place in China have held up for more than a couple of weeks (perhaps a month). I once paid 100 kuai for a pair of local-brand sandals (made from real leather) in a legit (super-big) shoe store, however. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever had: I've worn them day in and day out and they still hold up pretty well after more than a year.

FYI, i would never go to the silk market to buy stuff.....go to 天意批发市场 if you plan on buying in bulk, like all the Chinese vendors do...

Socks, hats, purses, underwear, costume jewelry...thermoses

Although I don't think they have touristy things. Case in point, the only abacus I could find one day was an actual functional one...not the type that just sits on your desk and looks pretty...sigh...

I think we just need a thread of where to go to buy what...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Not totally sure on jean prices, as I was never satisfied with the quality. I know many people dislike the Silk Market, but I think it's great for touristy stuff to give to friends and family back home.

Few things I picked up:

T-shirts: 15-20 kuai each (they shrink a lot after washing)

1.5 feet long wall scroll/painting: 15 kuai

3 feet long wall scroll/painting: 20 kuai

Coach wallet (wrist-lets according to my sister): 25 kuai each

Large coach purse: 70 kuai

"Jade" bracelet: 15 kuai

I noticed many markets where the stalls are selling the same merchandise are likely owned by the same vendor. If you don't make it too obvious, you can go to several stalls and gauge their lowest selling price allowed by their boss.

Silk Market, Yashow Market, Pearl Market, Wudaokou Market and even Xidan...

All of those fails in comparison to the markets around Beijing Zoo Station. It's the mother of all markets and what's best is that the prices aren't jacked up so you won't have to exert a lot of effort and waste a lot of time bargaining. Average price for men's t-shirts 30RMB to 50RMB. A lot of female blouses start at 30RMB.

If you are after cheap but good quality fashionable clothes, it is THE place to go. The underground market has a lot of branded overruns as well.

They open at 6am and close at 4pm.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree. I never felt stressed or harassed in these markets and most of the time the vendors will be straight with you. You can look around freely without being bothered and if you decide not to buy they won't cry and pull you back in.