Chinese-Forums

Ip Man 叶问

Outofin

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the sequel today. I think Donnie Yen plays very well and his role is very charming. Particularly in one scene when he pauses to sip his tea and smoke after learning that his pupil is in trouble.

I think the film is quite good up to the boxing part. The boxing part is so predictable that I find it boring and laughable.

It is a pity that Huang Xiaoming has such a pretty face. People can't focus on his acting, which is not that great any way.

Some of the words used are quite old-fashioned ( I saw the Cantonese version). Like 事幹. They are quite interesting.

Oh, how did I miss this thread!? I think my wushu teacher has a copy of this movie somewhere. But wait....is this available on the mainland on DVD with Chinese captions? Is the original movie in Mandarin or Cantonese?

Yes, I'm very demanding that all movies must have Chinese subtitles, never mind the English subtitles. I can view the link you sent but it keeps stopping every few seconds, anyone have this problem with youku? I'll go try to find the same thing on youtube.

Is the original movie in Mandarin or Cantonese?

The original has Mandarin subtitles and dialogue (no English.) I saw it in the theater last year (in Kunming) and loved it. Bought a copy soon thereafter.

But wait....is this available on the mainland on DVD with Chinese captions?

Yes.

The sequel is in theaters here now. I plan to see it this week.

Edited by abcdefg

The original has Mandarin subtitles and dialogue (no English.) I saw it in the theater last year (in Kunming) and loved it. Bought a copy soon thereafter.

The original I saw is in Cantonese. :mrgreen:

The original I saw is in Cantonese

But of course. How silly of me. It must depend on where the theatrical release is being shown. I saw it on the mainland. The DVD I bought later was also bought here (Kunming.)

I saw the sequel (Ip Man 2) last week and was very disappointed. This movie now totally dropped the 'Ip Man was a real person' premise alltogether and downgraded to the now popular and predictable 'Western boxer hurts Chinese kung fu master in an unfair competition - master gets revenged by another kung fu master' pattern.

The real Ip Man DID NOT FIGHT. Full stop. He was a martial arts teacher. I didn't see a martial arts teacher in this sequel. (I know quite a few of them, as I practice CMA in Hong Kong).

What's even more sad, when you google "Ip Man", the movie comes up in the top searches before the real Ip Man. Hong Kong Madame Tussauds Museum has recently unveiled a waxwork of Donnie Yen as Ip Man. Now the new generations will all think that Ip Man the Wing Chun teacher looked like Donnie Yen. (It's bad enough that the ONLY thing the current pubic knows about Ip Man is that he was Bruce Lee's martial arts teacher.).

Show business piece by piece takes over the world!

• 2 weeks later...
Like most sequels, Ip Man 2 isn't as good as the original. It's just a everyday movie.
I think an everyday movie in which Donnie Yen kicks ass is still an everyday movie I would like to see :-)