Chinese-Forums

someone explain chinese obsession with "THIN" ...

geek_frappa

Jamie is right. And I don't know why some women still think that majority of men like ultra-slim girls. :-? Maybe because some women think that they know what men think and so they don't feel a need to ask men what they REALLY think. :-?:wall

from my experiences my female friends from korea are the people most obsessed with bodyweight and waistline. dun see as many chinese girls being over concerned, and its in china u know...

but i came across a positive case 3 days ago. a korean friend of mine told me over lunch that she gave up her slimming programme about a month earlier. she realised that it was stupid. stupid in the sense that she spent so much effort just to get a few pounds lesser, and spent so much time worrying, making her life miserable. now she eats normal, sometimes a little dessert when she's working up late, and to her amazment she didnt really gained much over the month, its a +/-1kg thing, and her weight is like 52. she's 1.65m by the way. so i feel good for her too. seems that she's happy and relaxed now. actually we went to mac's for twice in 3 days and had all the junkies. she didnt mind at all.

I personally like a little bit of fat, I prefer an athletic women and am happy with a thin women (really I'm not fussy :lol: ). What I don't like is a women who is overly obsessed with her weight and appearance; it's enough to drive a man mad!

• 3 weeks later...

has anybody heard of RoyalBody Perfect? ( 皇室纤形 )

it's a little scary ... it looks like a program that helps women become anorexic.... anybody tried this yet?

... perhaps, (i don't mean any disrespect) ... there is something wrong with men who like ultra-thin women?

I once saw the best contact ad in a newspaper.. it read: (translated from swedish) "Extremely fat women with handicap, seeks man for company".. That's it!! I mean, who doesn't feel desirous to answer that one.. :wink: you know, usually, you try to get someones attention by telling what you prefer, like to do, eat and so on.. but that was it.. I'd really like to meet a guy who apparently has to be of this opinion: "I don't care what my girlfriend is like, as long as she's extremely fat, and handicapped."

I once also noticed another ad (don't think I read them so often) it was in english: (maybe not as amusing though) "China woman seeks man for marriage". She was about 40 and sought men from 50-70. I really see no point why some women want to marry men 30 years older than themselves.. furthermore, there's nothing more attractive than a slim chinese girl.. with the risk of sounding a bit manchauvinistic..

Some women prefer the security and maturity of an older man

come on.. when you're 70 years old.. you're neither secure nor mature, you're one the brink of death compared to a women aged 40.. I'm definitely not opposed to this kind of marriage, as long as they love each other.. but the ad read: "China women seeks man for marriage..".. I don't think that is the same thing as mutual love..

and:

just like some men prefer the superior beauty of Asian women.

You admit it yourselfe :wink:

Oh my dear Sunyata, how naive you are!! Oh but it's so cute!! :roll: Pork chops?! :shock: My dear you must be hungry, hurry and run to the grocery store!! My how you make me laugh!!! :lol: Let me school you on something, Men do so like meat!! I'am not so sure if you can read or not!! And yes I do get it from my own experiance, I'am what you call THICK!! But not out of shape, I walk daily, dance and excercise!! And yes I'am very attractive, but big surpise I'am not a size four!! When I walk outside men follow me, including ASIAN men!! Not my imagnation, but my experience!! If other men of different races can say that they don't want a bone, what makes you think that ASIAN men can't?! Oh and my dear friend I have seen ASIAN men with big women!!! WOW huh?! Takes you back a few right?! I thought it would!! Don't be foolish and say because you don't want a big women that othes don't!! Just live your life the way you want to and don't try and change what others thnk!! Oh and I'am sure that there are some out there that don't like big people period!! Am I supposed to go to the fridge eat half a gallon of ice cream and sulck?! NO I don't think so!! I'am going to take my sexy butt out and watch men melt over me!! Thats my experience!! One more thing, if you were hungry and someone offerd you a pork chop I guess you would stand your ground and starve right?! Silly boy, you make me laugh!!! :lol:

I did some research about a year ago (when I was working on my BA) on the rise of eating disorders among Chinese women. A pretty startling number of young Chinese women diet, have very low BMI (body mass indexes), and percieve themselves as fat. Personally, I've met girls here who weigh around 45Kilos telling me how they need to lose weight. Even taking into account that Chinese people are naturally more petite than westerners, unless you're about 4 feet tall, 45 kilos is thin. I also constantly get told how "fat" I am (I'm about 54 Kilos and 165cm), and how I should "jian fei." If you watch the television, every other add is some ridiculous miracle weight loss cure.

There seems to be some correlation between a rise in a society's prosperity and attention to weight. There has also been some interesting research done on Chinese family culture, which claims that the typical Chinese family shares many of the same characteristics found in the families of many eating disorder patients in the West (highly pressurized family environment, ordered and controlling parents, perfectionism . . .).

Whether or not men prefer thin women or meaty women is kind of irrelevant. No one should starve themselves, or damages themselves physically and mentally simply because it will help them attract a boyfriend, and I seriously doubt that when it comes down to it men's opinions are much of a factor at all. Instead, there are other issues involved. The west has been obsessed with "thin" for a long time, and for some people, this obsession becomes entirely unhealthy. It seems that China is starting to follow this trend. Keep in mind that not very long ago no one in this country would even think of deliberately starving themselves, people died from starvation without trying enough as it was. Now, Chinese girls too are enjoying the "luxury" of self deprivation. :-?

• 3 weeks later...

I think people around you gives you pressure too. Around me there are lots of slim girls like 160cm 43kg. They will look at me and say "you are so fat" i am 160cm and 50kg which i check many times with my doctor and he says i am not overweight. I just cannot stand people around me telling me "you are fat" "you should lose weight" etc.. I tried to lose some weight before but i gave up after some time.

• 5 weeks later...