Chinese-Forums

Harry Potter - audiobook?

atitarev

It's only the first of 37 parts, and will have been heavily compressed, so it might be small.

It's worth keeping the emule and torrent applications running - it really could be a matter of waiting for someone to turn their computer on somewhere. However if it's an package like .rar, you need to wait for the whole thing to download, rather than just requesting part 1, then part 2, etc, which means it'll be a lot longer before you can start listening. And if you're leaving them running check they're not hogging your upstream bandwidth.

It might be worth trying to download a popular file (ie, something from the front page of verycd.com would probably have lots of uploaders at the moment) and see if it starts just to check that works - there could maybe be a firewall stopping it working or something.

For finding the names, similarly "NAME OF BOOK + 哈利', or searching for 哈利 on Amazon.cn or similar will also turn them up very easily. You might find audio books later in the series are easier to get hold of - they'll be more popular, more people will be uploading them, the websites hosting them won't have fallen into disrepair, etc. Although I'm assuming they even exist.

I used verycd before, so it shouldn't be the firewall.

Anyway, I have exceeded my limit for this month, will have to wait. I will check if these audio-books are for sale.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Chinese Harry Potter audio-book exists and is downloadable! :clap

Check this link.

I have downloaded two chapters so far. They are OK, the text is somewhat different from the official PCR translation. The difference may not be too big but I let you explore it.

The download is very slow from this web-site, the files are RAR'ed (use WinRAR to unpack) and there is some additional text and music in the MP3 files. The archive contains several files. The chapters are split in two files.

The link was kindly provided to me by Elina of Study Chinese Culture online bookshop. I asked her a long time ago but she has been very ill for a long time as I found out.

--

EDIT:

3 chapters per volume are free to download.

Edited by atitarev

That appears to be a copy of the movie soundtrack...

The link says "movie", and it would also explain why there are a lot of other "sounds", and why it differs from the book. The movie and the book are quite different in what is actually said. Book has much more.

I've made eBooks of the paper copies by purchasing the books, and then scanning and OCR-ing the books, but I didn't have time before leaving China to get someone to record (read) the books. I'm hoping to get that done (for my personal use) at some point in the next couple years, when I get back to China and have an opportunity to arrange.

There are rumors that verycd may shut down soon. The Chinese government started requiring all websites that distribute audio and video materials to obtain a special license, and it seems that the government is just getting around to enforcing it now.

http://www.ce.cn/xwzx/gnsz/gdxw/200912/11/t20091211_20595144.shtml

传广电总局今日起将陆续关停200家视听网站(图)

2009年12月11日 07:10 来源:扬子晚报

前天下午开始,VeryCD网站出现无法访问故障。外界普遍猜测VeryCD是因不具备《信息网络传播视听节目许可证》而遭广电部门关停。据统计,VeryCD每天的访问人数平均为500万,为“BT中国联盟”的20倍。

VeryCD 无法访问的当天下午,其创始人黄一孟表示,只是机房故障,并非遭封杀,正在加紧处理,预计昨天中午可以恢复。昨日下午4点左右,有网友发现VeryCD网站恢复访问。黄一孟在VeryCD发布的公告上表示:“经过我们的全力解决,目前机房线路已经恢复正常,VeryCD网站将陆续恢复正常访问。”

本报记者致电黄一孟,但两个手机号一个显示为关机,另一部始终无人接听。业内人士表示,VeryCD正在补办相关手续,但在当下背景之下,转型已是势在必行。

BTChina在关站通知中称,广电总局表示该站无“许可证”。这里的“许可证”指的是由广电总局颁发的《信息网络传播视听节目许可证》。

由广电总局和信息产业部联合发布的《互联网视听节目服务管理规定》,于2008年1月31日开始施行。其中第七条规定,从事互联网视听节目服务,应当依照本规定取得广播电影电视主管部门颁发的《信息网络传播视听节目许可证》或履行备案手续。另外第十七条规定,未持有《许可证》的单位不得为个人提供下载传播视听节目服务。

Does it mean we have to hurry up with all the downloads?

The link says "movie", and it would also explain why there are a lot of other "sounds", and why it differs from the book. The movie and the book are quite different in what is actually said. Book has much more.

No. The text starts at about 1:15 and ends way before the actual text (at 24:35). I am going to use Audacity to get rid of extra "noise".

It goes (as in the book):

家住女贞路4号的德思礼夫妇总是得意地说他们是非常规矩的人家,拜托 ,拜托了。他们从来跟神秘古怪的事不沾边,因为他们根本不相信那些邪门歪道。

弗农·德思礼先生在一家名叫格朗宁的公司做主管,公司生产钻机。他高大魁梧,胖得几乎连脖子都没有了,却蓄着一脸大胡子。德思礼太太是一个瘦削的金发女人。她的脖子几乎比正常人长一倍。这样每当她花许多时间隔着篱墙引颈而望、窥探左邻右舍时,她的长脖子可就派上了大用场。德思礼夫妇有一个小儿子,名叫达力。在他们看来,人世间没有比达力更好的孩子了。...

It ends in ...的名字叫阿不思·邓布利多。The audio says: ...这个男人的名字叫阿不思·邓布利多。 That's the middle of chapter 01.

• 3 months later...

The audio for Harry Potter is available here:

http://ska4ka.com/13043-harry-potter-1.html

(you have to login in if you want to download)

I've only listened to the first chapter and it roughly follows the copy that I have. It starts off with a minute or so of annoying music but after that it starts and the voice is OK.

The version of the book I have is from Taiwan, I wonder if it's different to the mainland version. Can someone let me know if it follows the version of HP that you have.

Books 2 and 3 are also on the site.

Yes, Chaxiu, that's the mainland China version! Thank you very much for posting the link. :)

I've got the book and the online texts are available. It matches the text but not 100%, the reader adds some and changes some words, adds some exclamations (to make it sound more natural or interesting to young listeners?), which I don't like but it doesn't happen too often and it's not hard to follow.