Chinese-Forums

Intensive Summer Chinese Programs in the US

jbradfor

I took intensive 2nd year Chinese at UCLA a few years ago. It was 4 hours of class and about 6-8 hours of studying 5 days a week for 9 weeks. It was good for what I learned, but extremely stressful and the pace was too fast for me. I ended up forgetting a lot of material from week to week just because there was so much new stuff to review all the time. I got kind of burned out from it, and wasn't able to handle the 3rd year class the following month because I just didn't have enough time during that summer to develop my speaking skills to the degree required for the next level. I got fed up with Chinese, and let my language study lapse afterwards.

Now I'm going to give it another try, hopefully in Taiwan or China if I can get a scholarship. But I would like to take a course not quite as fast-paced, but not slow like the typical 5 hrs/week class either. The intensive course I took didn't have nearly enough opportunity to practice and drill what had just been learnt before moving on to the next thing.