Chinese-Forums

Who's going to BLCU for full year program in Fall 2009?

Song You Shen

Hey, Im posting this to just try to reach out to find people planning on attending this course....its the three month one starting in Sept. i just wanted to try to connect with some people so when i arrive there, i at least knew one or two people....if anyone else is thinking the same thing friend request me or just post on the thread...

I'm american, and i've studied chinese for 4 years in shanghai, im gonna stay in the dorms cause its easier, but not in the single super room, just the shared double room but with the seperate bathrooms....so i will have a roomate....just curious where people are coming from and if they wanted to connect beforehand....:conf

I am from Dominica and will be going to blcu in the fall as a scholarship student for a whole year for intensive mandarin chinese. Would really like to know more about the situation in dorms 1/2. is it true about the squatting toilet in those dorms? As well i read that the people who come the earliest get the best rooms, how early would i have to get up there?

Does anyone have the program details for the 1-year course (hours of class, included trips etc...)?

Mouille, the last time I was in BLCU (a few months ago), I went to dorm 2 (or was it 1?) to register for accommodation. What I can remember was that I could smell the odours coming out of the toilets while I was wandering around the gloomy corridors.

The earlier you reserve your room, the better. For the summer program, dorm 17 and Conference Center were fully booked one month before it started.

Hi,

I am about to embark on the 1 yr intensive Mandarin programme starting 7th September. I cannot wait!

Just wondering what your views are on how strict the programme is gonna be.

I am thinking of taking sometime off for New Year during December... does anybody think that this would be possible without getting kicked out of the university??

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Looking forward in hearing from you.

Barron

In the academic calendar it says that there is no vacation until jan 20th (except 1 or 2 day short ones which don't seem to be enough to leave for far distances). And I have heard that the program is strict and you can only be absent for 2 school days at most.

I've heard BLCU is not strict and the hours you are allowed to skip/cut class is really plentiful, enough for you to go to multiple domestic trips.

It's unusual for universities to be too concerned about attendance - strictly speaking you should be there, and theoretically they could throw you out at some point, which has consequences for your visa. But it's very rare. Make sure they have a phone number for you so if they are cracking down they can find you, but a few days off here and there for trips won't cause any problems. Plenty of people just give up going to classes completely.

"In the academic calendar it says that there is no vacation until jan 20th (except 1 or 2 day short ones which don't seem to be enough to leave for far distances). And I have heard that the program is strict and you can only be absent for 2 school days at most. "

i thought there is a long holiday from 1st-8th october?:conf

Guys,

thanks a lot for your advice. I am actually gonna be enrolled on the long term language non-degree program ( 20hrs a week).

I can only presume that so long as I am not doing a full degree program as well as not being on a scholarship, I would be able to take some time off.

Would you think that it would be a problem fro me to skip a week off during the xmas and new year period in December??

When would you think there are exams?

Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated.

They have a certain amount of hours that you can skip. or those who are on scholarship, it's one month, for others, it's set by each "head teacher" of each group. If you go above that, you won't get your certificate and won't be eligible to sit the final exam.

You can leave for a few weeks, but just out of politeness, inform your teacher that you won't be attending. And sometimes, they can even let you sit the exams if you happen to go above the "skipping" hours for serious reasons.

@ Zingermeal - but surely the university is purely concerned with the fees. Surely so long as I pay up front for my 1 yr course, they should not be that restricted??

My main holiday would be during December from 23rd to 3rd January. Do you think that I could get away with this??

@ Keiana + nietzsche - thanks for your info. Where did you get this info btw??

@ Roddy - this is encouraging :) ... I can only presume that this is true so long as you shouw that you are hardworking throughout the yr??

It really does depend how the university happens to handle things. By way of an example, I once stopped going to classes in October, and didn't hear a peep out of the university all year - despite popping in for lunch now and then. That wasn't BLCU - or even Beijing - though.

@ Zingermeal - but surely the university is purely concerned with the fees. Surely so long as I pay up front for my 1 yr course' date=' they should not be that restricted??

[/quote']

I guess it's like any other educational institution, they need to have a minimum of discipline.

I was at the 3-month course last spring, and stopped attending at the last month. And I couldn't attend the final exam because of that (I had 70 hours I could skip). For the final exam, they give you a certificate of completion.

My main holiday would be during December from 23rd to 3rd January. Do you think that I could get away with this??

Yeah, I think that will be ok if you are expecting to only skip for 10 days. There might also be other foreign students who will be leaving for Christmas and New year.

By the way, do you know how many hours of class there are per week for the next 1 year course, the starting date, and if there are any trips included in the package?

Edited by zingermeal

Can anybody confirm for me the starting date of the 1-year program? According to the calendar on BLCU's site, the semester starts Sept 7. When I called BLCU just now, someone told me classes start August 31st???

I've also seen Sept 17 somewhere but I think that's for those that are doing 1 semester?

And all I know is registration is between Aug 28-30 which includes checking into dorms for scholarship students?

Is there a specific date where they look at your medical exam too?

I just want to know if there is time off between registration and the start of the semester (if it is in fact Sept 7) so I can tour around a bit with my parents because they'll be coming with me initially.

I haven't received my acceptance letter or JW201 form yet, that's why I don't know the answer to any of these questions...I don't have anything on paper.

Thanks guys.

I should be there in two weeks for one year study to begin with. I also posted a question on another thread: Do I need to confirm my registration before I arrive? I already have my acceptance and visa set.

Representing the United States.

@ScoobyDoo: yes, they do accept late application. i applied only a few days ago for the one semester course starting on september 17. but they said they won't be able to send the visa application material in time, so i should apply for a tourist visa and they'll help me getting a student visa once i'm there.