Chinese-Forums

Help, I'm clueless

shalzuth

Where have you got this from?

The first character is in traditional script and reads xié = 协. It means 和谐 harmony, coordination.

The other two look like 示 + 求. In some contexts 示求 means to pray for, ask for, as in pray for longevity >> 示求寿 i.e. in more contemporary context it can be used to indicate something which is needed, needs to be done: 除了要你努力学习之外,我对你一无所示求 = I ask nothing from you but that you should study hard.

Now, I'll leave it to you to figure out the meaning of your writing.

(Or perhaps somebody else will come up with a nice explanation) :wink:

The last character is more likely to be 求 rather than 来. From the first character 拹, it's clear that these are written in tradition Chinese characters, and the fanti character for 来 is 來.

I've never heard of '示求寿' and '一无所示求'. '示求‘ doesn't make sense in Chinese.

I've never heard of '示求寿' and '一无所示求'. '示求‘ doesn't make sense in Chinese.

My thoughts exactly when I saw that.

You know guoke at least in your last 2 posts that I've seen, I've agreed with you 100% :wink: So you're percentage is going up.

I don't remember I ever claimed 急示 does not exist as a word.

Anyway I'm not giving away my sources this time 8) & so everyone is free to make their own choice. Happy?

BTW1, come to think of it, the writing above doesn't really make much sense in that word order...with 协 in front of 动词 ...

BTW2, how come there's no smiley for when you scratch your head thinking hard?! :wink:

Well, even without the smiley the scratching helped and yes, after re-reading the title you're both right, it's 急示+求+出口... so it wasn't such a good illustration after all. Sorry. :oops:

Nevertheless, I still stand firmly behind the examples I gave in #2.

OP hasn't been back in since posting - doubt we'll get much satisfaction without knowing what the context was.

Oh? It's not fair! Asking such a deeeep question :wink:, then disappearing...

急示=紧急告示

求=寻求

急示求出口到非洲的空压机 = 紧急告示: 寻求 出口到非洲的 空压机

Leeyah, I'm not trying to irritate you, but I think the '一无所示求' in your dictionary is most likely a misprint and it should be '一无所求’。

Edited by Guoke

Why get so serious about it? The OP probably just copied some characters from a Chinese article which might look something like this:

..........................................在

协助警方办案..................出

示身份证..........警方正在寻

求现场目击证人的协助......

I have fertile imagination, don't I? :wink:

I'm a really curious cat (yeah, I know the proverb :roll:), so I found this and naturally, I'm (very much) intrigued.

What does it look like to you all? Do you see 示 as a part of 求, or a separate verb? or a typo?

or perhaps it's just a random prefix without any meaning? or an abbreviation of some kind? ...

PS: I'll get my answer in class tomorrow (:mrgreen:) , but with all the expertise/talent in this forum I was just wondering what you guys think. Perhaps someone could even provide a nice translation of 示 & 求 in the context?

Thank you.

Edited by leeyah