Chinese-Forums

Help, I'm clueless

shalzuth

示求租 = 告示 求租

告 is probably omitted to leave more space

Now, that's the answer I expected to get! I recall mentioning formal abbreviations in ads so a little bit of fenxi to teach us all to read between the lines is very welcome ...

Curiosity killed the cat. :lol:

Ouch! Hey, this is not a nice thing to say to a fellow forum member :nono

It hurts!

Didn't I say (brackets, small print) that I knew the proverb?

Wow, I didn't think I'd get so many responses. You guys are helpful!

So, where I got it from isn't like a movie story or anything.

I was in a long distance relationship, and about 3 weeks ago, I was at a flea market. I came upon this beautiful panda blanket; there wasn't a chance I was going to not get it for her. It had those three characters on it though. She is Chinese, so I was just going to ask her, but she broke up with me before I could give to her, and I decided I should go ahead and try to translate it, thus bringing me here.

All this wonderful discussion for such a sappy little heart break pathetic story. :evil:

:wink:

The only link that google provides for 一无所示求 is actually this thread. I love it when that happens. What I did find interesting is that google input method came up with 一无所示求 right away but then I noticed that it remembered it not as a already used phrased but as a user phrase. meaning I typed it so it remembered it.

So I find it interesting that I can't find it anywhere and so my tendency would be to agree that it's a typo. I'll do some more checking at the office tomorrow, but for now I am pretty confident that 示求 is not really anything.

Muyongshi, what can I say? You are ... a natural talent, no doubt :wink:

Here's the report: according to our teacher, obviously these are NOT formal abbreviations like eg. 边查 >> 边境检查, which make the reading of Chinese newspapers (especially headlines!) & ads so difficult ...

i.e. 示求 or 一无所示求 as found in 有道桌面词典 & also 示求租到国贸6公里内一室一厅 are just TYPOS!!! :tong

PS: So...apparently wangluo sources aren't that reliable, 好象学习真的没有止境啊...& ummm, I remember someone here already said that nothing can replace a good paper dictionary ... :roll:

As for the context of the OP, wow, inscription on a panda blanket?! 我不相信啊! ...

The three characters must be a curse. First, they bring disharmony to these very forums
Please do not put blames on those innocent characters for our failing. We only have our own attitude and immodesty to blame. The eposide is still a good lesson to learn from, if we're modest enough to see it this way :mrgreen:

It's time for some mantra, 观世音菩萨六字大明咒:

OM MANI PADME HUM >> Look! The jewel in the lotus! >> 唵嘛呢呗美吽 (Chinese version)

一、去除一切鬼魅妖魔等害。

二、除去一切寒热痰气各种疾病。

三、救度一切水火刀兵等苦。

四、得一切福德寿命自在。

五、除一切贪瞋痴等根本诸烦恼。

六、除一切破戒诸恶。

:)

Edited by leeyah

The first character might either be or .

The second character might either be or

The third character might either be or or .

All three characters don't make up a sensible phrase, saying, idiom or chengyu in Chinese. Might be from other languages? There's many ethnicities in China you know, not just Chinese?! Post a picture of the characters on the blanket itself would really help. It might still be gibberish made and sold by non-Chinese people for profit.

OM MANI PADME HUM

"Om Mani Padme Hum" from Sanskrit somehow became "Om Mani Peme Hung" in Tibetan, meaning like someone said, "Aum, to the Jewel in the Lotus". A lot of the Chinese vampire movies always have one of the protagonists or priests say this in some process of stopping them.

Edited by trien27