Chinese-Forums

Buying a sword in Beijing and taking it back home...

Alleluia

I bought a couple of swords home and one was the normal bluntish one while the other was in fact extremely sharp... I walked through customs with no problems at that time although things change (this was about 2 years ago), I live in the UK... check your country's customs website and that might tell you how you can proceed... good luck...

Is anyone finding good quality swords in China? I mean real swords, not the wushu or even hmm.. can't remember the names but they were spring steel and had 7 stars on the base of the blade. I got some back in 1985.

If you want quality swords I would be careful. If you want ornamental to hang on the wall then you can find that stuff anywhere. But, remember to bargin well.

I found a few good ones round by the sports university... not the spring steel kind but well made with good steel (like I know what different types of steel are... a friend back home told me I got a couple of good ones...)... and bargaining is a must...

They do look very nice and if the forging info is true then they are fairly decent blades indeed... no prices though... would be interesting to see how much they are... one or three I would like to buy tbh...

As always, fantastically helpful responses from forum members :D

I would like to buy a display sword to take back to the UK; nothing fancy, the usual tourist tat will do! How much do you recommend I pay for a sword around 100 - 120cm long (including handle)?

Many thanks in advance!

Well, I paid just 10 dollars or so for a nice broadsword, the same I got when in China in 85, when I was in California at a flea market and it was new.

So, I think you can get a deal of between 100 and 200 rmb plus or minus based on the quality of the sword.

I paid 1000 for two high quality swords and a very good case... one was sharp and one blunt(ish)... I could have picked up a really basic one for about 50ish though... just the sword no trimmings and metal and balance qualities perhaps dubious... the ones I have the balance is superb and metal very good... you do get what you pay for sometimes... but if you are after a basic one just to practice with then cheap is good...

• 2 weeks later...