Chinese-Forums

Shareholder's Annual Meeting (Eating)

Ian_Lee

I guess many of our posters have invested in stock. Do any of you ever attend those annual shareholders' meeting?

In US, I never know any small investors like I ever attend. (I guess since all those company headquarters are in either NYC or LA or Chicago, it is too far away for small investors to go thru the humbug to attend.)

But in HK, many small investors do attend every year from March to June (usually that is the time for the release of final reports).

Usually these meetings are held in the Conference Rooms in 5-star hotels. After the boring meeting, the shareholders are treated a feast.

For tycoon Li Ka Shing's holding companies, the annual meetings are held in his flagship hotel in Hunghom (the one where Jiang Zemin stayed). After the meeting, you just down at any 12-people dining table. When the seats are all taken, dim sum, chow funn, chow mein,.....etc will be served. After the meal, they even charter a bus to send you back to Tsimshatsui.

If you love beer, the San Miguel used to hold their annual meeting in the brewery (I don't know if they still hold it there after relocation). Of course it is beer all you can drink.

If you love tea time in fancy hotel, HK Hotel holds their annual meeting usually in one of their fancy hotels like Peninsula or Marco Polo. Of course tea, coffee and pastry are served.

So it is a good life time investment. Even you just hold 1 share of the above company, their management is obliged to notify you every year to attend the meeting provided you have the spare time!

• 2 weeks later...

The AGM of Berkshire Hathaway in US is highly famous. It's a carnival with keynote speech by legendary Warren Buffett. He acts like a prophet and everybody wants to hear from him to get the insight about stock market. Food and drinks all served in an outdoor party.

While hongkong AGM is more trammelling in the luxury hotels, Buffett's style is fresh to me.

Btw, my job nature allows me to taste mass variety of food in these expensive hotels. Believe it or not, the REAL best chinese fried rice can be surprisingly found in Grand Hyatt Hotel in Wanchai, Hongkong.