Chinese-Forums

Let's toast Beijing

adrianlondon

English. If I wasn't there, the rest of the attendees were clever enough to have been able to chat and gossip in Mandarin. I'm not of that level, and everyone already knew my name, where I came from, and that I love Chinese food and can use chopsticks ;)

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late, but you'll forgive me for coming down with something in Beijing and almost getting quarantained at the airport ;) Had an excellent time in Beijing, though. It was wonderful to see the city and meet up with lots of old friends. And some new friends, too, although in a way you were old friends as well. I can only second what the posters above said about the restaurant...man, that food was brilliant. Particularly the potatoes :mrgreen:

English. If I wasn't there, the rest of the attendees were clever enough to have been able to chat and gossip in Mandarin. I'm not of that level, and everyone already knew my name, where I came from, and that I love Chinese food and can use chopsticks ;)

Well, gougou and roddy, but not me, let me assure you :wink: And yeah, good point on the tea and beer! Shame I couldn't join you the other time, but there were suddenly so many friends taking me out to see stuff...man, we even ended up in a bowling alley one night. I hadn't done that in ages.

Would look forward to meeting you again sometime, and if anyone ever comes to Taipei, let me know!

OKOK!!!

I know there are all sorts of restaurants here in Texas including vegetarians alright? And you guys won't believe how many I've been to. I actually shock myself at the end of every month looking at my credit card statement.

It seems you guys can't be fooled, not like my mom.

So, I hereby confess, that my life here isn't that miserable, and that I feel bad about my lie. Is this OK?

p.s. 真没幽默感你们这帮人!

Tut, tut, once I set up my Chinese blog I'll list all the vegetarian restaurants in Texas that all of you can go for your first ever "Let's toast Texas" event. Not fair that Beijing just gets toasted.

• 11 years later...

Gosh, my account still works.  This is a decent necro-bump.

Having quite a bit of free time, I've been going through my old photos.  The ones taken with a "real" camera before I gave up and used my iPhone for everything.   I'm going through them all and geotagging them.  It's tricky when google maps street view is not available in China (and Baidu's is painfully slow)  but what makes it even harder is that virtually nothing looks like it did back in 2006-9 when I visited Beijing regularly.

Anyway, so, I was looking at a photo of Roddy stuffing his face in a restaurant in November 2009 and came here to find out where it was.  Found it, thanks to Roddy's link further up-thread and the internet archive. 

静思素食坊 - JingSi Vegetarian restaurant.  And the address?  大佛寺东街18

• Like 2