Chinese-Forums

月饼

wushijiao

I think the tradtional cantonese ones are the best - lotus paste (or white lotus paste) with double egg yolks. Some friends like more egg yolks, but they admit that it is kind of silly as egg yolks are cheaper than lotus paste, yet the more yolks the more expensive the cakes are.

Don't eat too much, as moon cakes are not healthy food. I suggest no more than 1/8 or 1/4 of a regular-sized cake each day. And you should wash it down with hot Chinese tea.

Not only are mooncakes absolutely disgusting, the annual mindless frenzy means that I can't find anything in the local supermarket.

Useful things and real food are abandoned in favour of "heart attacks in boxes".

Most of my Chinese friends tell me they don't like them, but go ape buying them as gifts, because it is expected.

Reminds me of the greed-fest we call Christmas in the west.

(Sorry, I have a thing about mooncakes!)

eating mooncake should be like eating pizza, most people just eat one or two "slices" each time. It is best to eat them when you are hungry. I agree that most people don't really like them that much (including myself), it's just another excuse to celebrate your day and to visit your friends and relatives.

um, what is a mooncake? it's probably really obvious to all you who have been to China but i havent (until next week) so i have no idea. is it sweet or savoury food? Sounds interesting though, i will have to try them when i get to China...

月饼 is a traditional food eaten during the Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋节). 中秋节 falls on the 15th day of the 8th month in the Chinese lunar calendar (which falls on September 28 this year), when the moon is supposed to be big and full, and marks the fall harvest.

月饼 usually are very dense and packed with lotus seed paste (which is sweet) with a thin pastry crust that has some sort of design on the top. Usually there will be one or more egg yolks embedded inside (though you can buy ones without egg yolks if you prefer). I believe the egg yolks are supposed to represent the full moon. They're so rich and dense that I usually can eat no more than a quarter of one at a time, even though they're only about the size of your fist. I personally like them... very good with some hot tea. You can usually buy them in boxes of four.

I found a site that has a picture of a mooncake, and you can see the egg yolk inside too: http://www.stefmike.org/mt-archives/000577.html

• 4 weeks later...

One of my students bought me a poshly packaged moon cake (lotus seed paste and duck egg) -it was really nice and... cakey! I bought one from a shop recently which was lotus paste and egg and it was pretty gross. I think there can be good reason why some moon cakes are really expensive.

Leave it to China Daily (here through their new partner Sohu) to turn the mooncake into an economic bellwether:

http://english.sohu.com/20040915/n222056637.shtml

...and would someone in Guangzhou please post a photo of this "luxury cruise liner featuring traditional Cantonese architecture?"

I like ice cream mooncakes!

I saw these for the first time in a Ren Ren Le the other day; chocolate coated, plain ice cream with fruit-flavored centers in the shape of a (slightly altered) mooncake. At almost 300 RMB for a box, however, I'll just be hoping someone gives one to me next Monday.

For those who are interested in knowing more about moon cakes, take a look ->

解構各類月餅

冰皮月餅4℃以上貯存會生菌

冰皮月餅微生物風險較高

1盒月餅18包裝品

月餅商今年生產400萬盒月餅的同時,亦製造了近6000萬件包裝物件,等於消費者每買一盒月餅,便「隨盒附上」15件包裝物品。

• 11 months later...