Chinese-Forums

Gyms in Beijing

sangbhs008

Just for an update - the quotes above for Powerhouse Dongzhimen are still roughly correct - I think about 2500 for 6 months or 4600 for a year.

In the China Life basement on ChaoyangmenWai there is a gym with a pool that runs about 4000 for six months - awesome lighting and decent facilities, although a bit cramped for that price.

Last summer California Fitness in The Place was 5200 for 14 months. Now up to 7200 for 12 months.

All of the above prices may be negotiable. I've been at California Fitness for the last year (directly next to my job, so worth it) but I decided for the coming year to move into a slightly larger place and drop 1500 or so on a rowing machine to put in my apartment, maybe a few dumbells - easier to stay consistent with that at home (especially in the winter) and cheaper if you plan on staying for more that 12 months. If you are really into machine weights there are affordable versions of those, too - just browse Taobao.

• Like 1

Phmios - I go to one of the gyms on PKU campus. Opposite the Guanghua School of Management (old building). I paid 800 RMB as a staff member. It's massive, loads of treadmills and weights equipment. Only 2 crosstrainers and a couple of bikes, and the rowing machines have seen better days. My only real complaint are the changing rooms which are a bit grim and have the odd cockroach running about. But it's so cheap I overlook it.

• 1 year later...

I might as well bump this thread instead of creating another one, hopefully it's not frowned upon.

I just moved to the BLCU campus in Wudaokou and I'm looking for a reasonably priced gym. I've started to look around, but the few I've been able to track down are either overpriced or lack equipment, they're usually cluttered with tons of useless cardio machines... I'm looking for something really simple actually : I'm only interested in weight lifting, and I don't care about machines of any kind. I only need freeweights, a squat cage, a bench to do benchpresses and a place where I can deadlift heavy.

Does anyone know a weightlifting centered gym in that area?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

just on this topic, I have come across several gyms now. My observations:

1. If you are a big(ish) western guy, you could be in trouble looking for heavy weights. The one across the road from me has pathetic limits on the machines. Dumbells go to 15/20kg. you can lift all leg machine weights with one leg! 
  2. Almost all seem want one year membership. Maybe this is negotiable
  3. Price never seems constant. Some quote ridiculous prices
  4. Many are downstairs with no window
  5. They love giving you an hour tour before they get to the stupid price. 
  6. Don't forget classes can be in Chinese (good thing maybe?)
  7. Some gyms are opened by people as a business and have no interest in a gym themselves. Once from me is owned by a guy who is as thin as a chopstick and his staff are fairly plump. Not inspiring
  8. You might need to check it at 4pm as 10,000 school kids might turn up into the pool

Best I have seen in Beijing chaoyang is R&F. Decent price, huge and never more than 50% full. But I only have looked at about 5/6 now

• Like 3

Simplet, all the gyms in Wudaokou are pretty "general" in that they have some weights, some cardio and some space for classes.

Gyms I know of in Wudaokou;

BLCU gym - looks small and cramped but I have a friemd who has been a member for 2 years and never complains

Hua Qing Jia Yuan gym - don't know the real name but its in this apartment complex. It has a pool. Fairly decent for the price but limoted cardio machines. They had a decent number of free weights. Also a smith machine.

Nirvana fitness - never been. Heard it's expensive.

799 gym - again, no idea the real name but the price is just under 800rmb for a year. It's just up towards PKU fromWudaokou, near the ICBC bank. About 5 minutes from McDonalds in WU i guess. In a basement. I had a look round. It's smelly and the changing rooms are disgusting but the gym itself was fine.

Gym under Tuspark. There is a gym in the basement under the business park complex in Wudaokou (tuspark, right?). If you can see Ricci coffee and Starbucks, it's on that side. You just need to find steps down. Probably the nicest gym for a decent price ive found. Decent selection of everything. Will probably join this one myself.

Terra wellness. This one is mear Dong Sheng Yuan bus stop. Near the new Wudaokou branch of Nasca cafe. If you went to McDonalds and took a left, walk down there 5 minutes and you'd see it. It is expensive. My friend joined for a couple of thosand for 3 months. It is very new, modern and has a small pool. He says there is never many people there.

In the gyms i've seen or been a member of round here..all have a decent selection of free weights. Never anything jas bad a just up to 20kg.

• Like 1

just another update from me on gyms in case anyone is still interested in this topic. 

I have joined R&F gym near shuangjing. They charge 8000RMB for a single membership (i.e. 660 per month) for one year or 6000RMB per person is going as a couple. Initially I thought it was too expensive, but my friend noted that you can sell your membership. I have just bought a 10month membership for 4200 (i.e. 420 per month).

The gym themselves actually organize the handling of the cash and name change so all legit. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just joined A+ Fitness in Shaungjing for 3888 for 12 months + 1 extra free month 

It's a small gym, brand new and not too busy - They said they're limiting memberships due to the size of the gym and don't want people to wait for machines.  It's got a cardio area, free weights and classes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Could you give us some more information about the facilities in R&F Johnny? Perhaps some pictures even? Thanks

Hi Simon, actually it’s not bad, happy with it

Pros

• Open good hours, windows on all sides so plenty of natural light. 
  • A lot of cardio machines, never keep waiting even at peak hours 
  • Good set of free weights and weights machines.
  • All Machines in good order
  • Cheap enough if you buy second hand membership
  • Plenty of attachments & handles for the machines so won’t be short of even the oddest exercise (neck)
  • All weights machines have decent weights, you would want to be pretty strong to max out.
  • Staff seem nice, not that I ever talk to them
  • No one looks at you at all for being a waiguoren
  • Huge pool which I rarely see anyone it
  • Membership is transferrable
  • They have someone who speaks English should you need it

Cons

• Changing rooms are a bit grim and unhygienic, but more due to the guys feeling the need to empty half their lungs onto the floor in the shower area.
  • Dumbbells only to 25kg.
  • Peak hours - free weights / smith machine are busy. They really need another bench press.
  • Cardio machines all face a busy street so you are a bit like a goldfish at times. Been photographed from outside but well it’s China so should be used to it.
  • Sauna is tiny and unhygienic, Sauna etiquette does not seem to be adhered to, but I guess its common in many places here.
  • lack of yoga type stuff like foam rollers. That would be nice

• Like 3

I just joined A+ Fitness in Shaungjing for 3888 for 12 months + 1 extra free month 

They wanted 9800 per year from me, Said they would reduce it to 7000 if I joined that day. Not a chance

I rate R&F much better but at 300 a month you are paying its not bad, I guess its not bad. 

I ruled out A+ as

1. downstairs / no windows

2. too small, Claustrophobic. I spend a lot of time there

3. weights machines way to light. Depends on what you want

at 300 a month its worth checking out but didn't suit my requirements unfortunately

• Like 1

hi thrice, it was first week of november I guess (judging from my post above), they were still building it. I remember at the time telling them it was a silly price. They seem open to negotion but my gf didn't want to bother and I dislike bargining.  I just wanted the price straight away rather that the usual presentation but they were keen that they show me around first.

Owner was a very thin, model type bloke, well groomed. Lady who showed me around was slightly cubbed, short hair, seem lovely but just said that whats the boss wanted. 

I just asked my gf. Her friends had the same issue. They way-over charged at the start, no-one joined so they dropped the price

Glad you like it though. 

There is a new one open up around the corner called taixuan or something like that with a 25m, pool. Might check it out today

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I still have few months left in Fusion Fitness in BLCU campus and I really regret it.

It's horrible and it seemed managed by monkeys. Each 6 months they raise up the price and offer less courses, have less training machines and every year they close the facility one hour before: 2 years ago the were used to close at 23.00, after one year at 22,30 and just recently at 22.00 which is idiotic!  80% of the instructors there are arrogant and when they train someone they take an amount of space that 4 ppl would take without considering that they never put the equipment back where they've taken from. AC is off or when is on is too friggin strong. You can't train after 5 becasue there are so many ppl that you couldn't believe and this is why despite the gym raises up the fees they do not buy new equipment.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Are there any gyms which focus just on squats, bench, and deadlifts?

Just squat racks, barbells, rubber weights, benches and maybe deadlift platforms.

I found Crossfit Slash which has these, but it's more of a crossfit gym so paying 900 RMB for just access to equipments is kind of pointless since the gym is built around classes.