Chinese-Forums

Lotus Education review?

pdchao

Hi.

I'm interested in studying abroad this summer to improve my Mandarin. I was looking online for relatively inexpensive immersion programs and found the lotuseducation.org. Does anyone have any experience with this place? Pros and cons for the program itself and its different subsidaries- one on one tutoring, BLCU & one on one tutoring, and small classes?

Are there are better and cheaper programs in Beijing or does the buck stop here?

Thanks. I'm excited to hear feedback!

• Like 1

I am thinking BLCU

12-Week Combo(9-Week BLCU +3-Week Tutor)

Session2:6/23-9/15 $5,480

or possibly just the BLCU only

9-Week Summer Program 6/23-8/25 BLCU $4,280

from what I read from this forum BLCU is pretty legit.

And I don't think that lotus is charging to much for the resale.

I was thinking about dealing with BLCU directly but it will be nice to have the airport pickup, homestay, and extra events managed.

nonetheless, I am going to need a homestay.

and it says it starts "Every March and September"

which does not work for me.

it either starts late june or I cant go.

3500RMB is for the 4 week program starting in June.

512USD

so i figure if it were 8 Weeks that would be about 1kUSD

Lotus Homestay only is $235 per week which is $1880 for 8 weeks (my intended stay time)

that sums to

$2800USD which means Lotus is perhaps pocketing 1480USD assuming that they have not marked up the Homestay expenses (I am sure they have)

it seems like it might be worth paying 1480USD to have lotus finding me a place to stay, picking me up from the airport, and watching my back.

I'm not affiliated with either institution, and don't know either personally, though I'm sure the school can also help with homestay, I don't know ($235 per week sounds expensive for homestay to my ears). There's other universities in Beijing too that might have other schedules. (Or language schools for that matter)

It's all up to you, pay a lot and not worry about the arrangement, or arrange it all yourself and pay a lot less. Nothing wrong with either choice.

If I were you I would search for teaching English positions in Beijing, preferably ones that are close to Chinese language schools. If you sign a contract with a school they will set you up with accomodation and should take care of all the things you can't do as someone who cant speak Chinese very well. This way you will have a pretty good income, accomodation will be sorted and you can do a Chinese course funded from the income you are getting from the school. You may even be able to get part of your airfares re-embersed.

If you dont want to take that option and want to go over there just so you can learn Chinese, try contacting the universities directly. Accomodation and everything will be organised by them, so this wont be an issue. Alternatively, if you are a university student, consider talking to your uni about doing an exchange. They may have a partner school in Beijing and you maybe able to get credit by taking your Chinese language units as electives!

I haven't done the Lotus program before, but I think the service they offer isn't anything you can't do yourself.

I'm not sure if you have shopped around for other programs? Beijing is one of my favourite cities to visit, however I dont think I'd like to live there as the pollution and smog can be quite heavy.

Good luck with your placement I hope it works out for you!

I am a current student at BLCU and I would always suggest applying directly, but it seems the time schedule doesn't work for you. Airport pickup seems nice, but just hop in a cab for $12.

There are plenty of private schools around Wudaokou that have classes you can just jump into, so the time is very flexible. Don't have the name, but my friend recommended a school just North of BLCU that has classes for 600 kuai a month ($87). She studied at BLCU for one year and said the teachers are better at the private school. I'll get the name when I return to Beijing in March.

It is easy to find a place through agencies or online. Seems most agencies want at least a 6 month lease, but pay a little extra and they will always be accommodating. I moved in with an elderly Chinese couple for $190 a month found via agency.

As chrix said before, it depends on how much trouble you want to go through. I for one went for the cheaper route and pay under $6000 for school/apartment per year. If I don't get the scholarship for next year I plan to attend a private school for about $1500 a year.

I am not too pleased with having 22 students in my class at BLCU, but many private schools will have 3-5 in a class. If you need tutoring you can go the language partner route or probably pay 30 kuai an hour for extra classes.

Edited by Brian US

Between the BLCU site and some online research you can figure out the costs of doing things independently and through an agency. Compare what you get and decide if the extra cost is worth it to you - a cash-strapped recent graduate planning to stay in China for four years and a business executive on a six month sabbatical will no doubt have different opinions on that, just like they might disagree on the necessity of employing a cleaner.

Going to BLCU independently isn't that difficult, it's just a bit more hassle. Homestays are trickier but as Brian US points out (and Brian, why haven't you written up a nice long post about your experiences living with the old Chinese couple? I think that sounds fun) not impossible.

If you do go for an agency look for one that's well established. Good reviews online are useful, but bear in mind there are plenty of people out there writing their own reports.

• 2 weeks later...
why haven't you written up a nice long post about your experiences living with the old Chinese couple? I think that sounds fun

I did update the "my accommodations" thread, but I suppose I can add some more flavor. Maybe even talk about all the crazy drunken karaoke dance parties we have...or save it for another time.

things come together pretty easily when once in China. When I studied there 8 years ago the main problem I had was that they wanted me to pay the registration fee in cash and I unfortunately lived in Europe, which made it a bit inconvenient to drop by.

But that sorted itself out some way as well (forgot how, but I studied there, so something must have happened).

You could just get a hotel first and then decide where you want to live and at which school to study when you are here.

• 2 weeks later...