Chinese-Forums

夠 vs. 够

Claw

I can remember learning both 強 the traditional version with 11 strokes

and also the 'simplified' version 强 that has 12 strokes. Maybe that is it.

Our teacher was not a fan of simplified Chinese.

His favorite example was...

The simplified variant of 麼 is 么

and yet the simplified variant of 么 is 幺

Imagine explaining to your students that the simplified version of a character 么 itself has a simplifed variant 幺.

The 2003 official Chinese dictionary still retains this wonderful example to us all of "making things simpler".

mph

I think it actually is like this:

么 is the simplified version of 麼

But 么 is also an original character of itself, yao1, meaning 1. 幺 is the simplified version of that character.

So it's not the simplification of a simplification, but 2 different simplifications.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

So it's not the simplification of a simplification, but 2 different simplifications.

The XianDaiHanYuCiDian tells us that it is two different simplifications.

Aplogies for not making myself clear.

Futhermore, the original word 么麽 yao1mo2 (petty insignificant) in simplified form is 幺麽, according to page 1460 of XianDaiHanYuCiDian 2002.

So in xiandai Chinese perhaps one needs to learn both forms of 麽 to write 幺麽.

mph

Speaking of surprising differences, I was stunned to learn that the following characters are different: 抛 and 拋. The first is the simplified version of "pao1" with seven strokes, and the second is the complex version with eight strokes.

By the way, what is the "official" number of dots used to handwrite the Chuo4 radical (辵) as the left side element of complex characters such as 返. Is it two, three, or either one?

Altair,

The two characters 抛 7 stroke and 拋 8 stroke are certainly interesting, many thanks for pointing them out ...

The XianDaiHanYuCiDian 2002 page 952 seems to have the the one 8 stroke character 拋 listed as the both simplified variant and the traditional variant.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the font is a bit unclear, there may be a mistake in the XianDai...

Could it be this character pair even stunned the Beijing lexicographers.

Altair.. The dictionaries I have consulted reduce the 辵 radical to 3 strokes. 1)one dot at the top 2) the east then south stroke and finally 3)the long heading east stroke.

Don't know what the official number of dots is though, but it seems that most fonts have one dot. The offical GB fonts also have a single dot.

mph