Chinese-Forums

Anyone going to BNU in the fall semester of 2010, (September-January)

tboasis7

Hey everyone,

Really I'm just trying to start networking with anyone who is going to BNU in the September to January term of 2010. I will be in the language school studying mandarin, probably at novice level so anyone with any good pointers are welcome to chip in.

Thanks guys

I'm heading there this fall too!... Although, I'll be sticking around for two years instead of finishing in January. I'm hoping be at the novice 100/preparatory level as well, since I don't have the 800 character required background for 101 yet, but I won't know until after arrival. imho, it would be better to end up in an easier class and do well, as opposed to ending up in a difficult one and just scraping by. It would at least reinforce the foundation of the language, which is invaluable, and given the pace the classes will go at (and the immersion factor), it should still provide proficiency fairly quickly.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any advice yet, other than the info on their website is very hit and miss leaving a lot to be desired :lol: ...Although I'm sure you're well aware of that already. Either way, its good to be in contact with a potential classmate for next year :clap

These are some links on BNU I've found particularly useful useful, in case you haven't seen them yet:

Brochure for International Students - http://www.bnulxsh.com/jieshao/BNUBrochure-en.html

BNU Class Levels - http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/751-cui-jians-new-album-spring-festival-release-date3

List of BNU Chinese Courses (this may not be up to date and may only apply to undergrad students) - http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/21303-list-of-bnu-chinese-courses

I'll let you know if I find anything else...

Wow two years, I have to graduate the semester after so I'll just be there for a semester. I'm quite nervous about the placement test so I'll be studying up my vocab and grammar this summer before I leave. Those sources are great, I had seen the first one already but thanks!:D I've talked to a couple of students from my school here at UNCG and they said the profs are great and the homework is plentiful so I'm looking forward to some more class structure which we lack here at UNCG.

Hey guys!

I'm in the midst of applying for different schools in Beijing right now, and I'm considering BNU for the fall 2010 semester!

Do you guys know if the 20/week Chinese language program is divided into subsections after the initial placement test? I have a Chinese background so my speaking skills are much better than my writing. For example, can I be put in level B for speaking and level A for writing? Or is it all just one class?

And in addition to the 20 hour/week chinese classes, can you register for other classes? Like calligraphy or tai chi or something?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks!! :)

-Jen

The 20hr/wk Chinese Language Program is the non-degree program, as opposed to the undergraduate one, right?

The college has a well-structured placement system. New students take placement exams that help assign them to classes of different levels according to their Chinese proficiency. Students who have good oral Chinese ability but poor reading ability or vice versa may choose courses of different grades accordingly. Students studying Chinese in the college for one semester or more will be enrolled in classes of the four-year undergraduate system; that is, they will be placed in classes numbered 100 to 402. 100 is the preparatory class for students who have no exposure to Chinese. 101 and 402 represent the first semester of the first grade and the second semester of the fourth grade respectively.

The brochure linked/quoted above says that you can be in different levels per class, but thats the only official page where I've found any detail concerning classes and levels. I've also read that you have the chance to switch levels in the first few weeks, if you find it too easy/hard, but this is just based on a couple of posts here and not on any BNU page.

Yeah. The International Students Office will be sending me the info for next year once its available, which will likely be in late-April or May. It feels kind of weird having been accepted to the university, pretty much all expenses paid, and yet have so little information =P

The joke is that even though we're a bit in the dark right now, and the website is awful, I've only heard good things about the school/program and I'm expecting things to work out fine. Other posts here speak very highly of it, the school itself has a good reputation and my local consul was quite pleased when giving me the admission notice, since I had been accepted into such a good school.

It is possible to be in different levels; you will need to explain this to the admin office once you have your placement test results and class allocation.

Don't worry about the placement tests; they're not trying to trick you and it's quite easy to get placed in a high-ish level. Then you can move down a level without any problems if you find it too hard. But try and do that very quickly (ideally after the first class or two on the first day!) so that the new class haven't all bonded already, making you a bit of an outsider.

If you're novice-ish, then learn some "school" vocabulary. You don't need 800 words to cope with 101 but if you don't know the words for "page" "sentence" "homework" "exam results" "semester/term" then you're going to get scared when they start explaining things, and run to 100. And once there you'll start learning "ni hao" and pinyin and it'll be depressing ;)

I self-studied (Practical Chinese Reader) in the UK before going to BNU. Took the placement test. Had a quick interview. Wanted to say "I'd studied for an hour a week for two years" but got as far as "two years" then muddled it up ;) So got placed in 102. Quickly legged it back to 101. Above my level, but forced me to learn quick.

Adrianlondon,

What was the class makeup like, concerning where students were from? I'm sure its always changing from semester to semester, but I just want to be forced to speak Chinese alllll the time haha:mrgreen:

So yea anything you know about electives too?

I was there three years ago so not sure how useful this answer is. Most of my classmates were Indonesian and (lazily) we spoke English most of the time outside of class.

Plus I'd gotten a great social life thanks to friends I met in other BNU classes linked by their membership of this very website ;) Even when I meet people who can speak fluent Chinese, such as Roddy (the owner of this site) I still use English. Why? Well, I view my time in China as a full experience, not just learning the language. And the best way to discuss my day to day experiences is in English. It's a trade-off and for sure my Mandarin would be much better if I had only Chinese friends and spent my 6 months talking about the Olympics and import/export businesses.

Electives ... I took calligraphy. Can't remember what the choices were but I know a couple in my class took wushu (a generic term, but they seemed to spend most of their time re-enacting Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks sketch). See? I need English to make my stupid comments about what I see ;)

yea I'm definetly trying to use this website to network with some students who will be at BNU next semester. I've heard that the internet connections on campus are either really awful or quite good, whats your verdict on this, and how is the internet available at places like cafe's and such?

Oh, and did you have to pay extra for the elective courses, Im asking b/c i pay tuition at my University in the States (I say States b/c im not american haha)

I enrolled directly at the Uni and the electives (you can only pick one, I think) are included in the course fee, so are "free".

They also arrange a day trip after the first week or so which can be a good way of meeting people in other classes.

I was in Dorm 3 and the internet speed was OK. Not great but bearable. Most cafes have free wireless.

I'm glad to hear that getting into 101 isn't too hard, and that 100 is at least a backup option if need be. It means I'll be good whether or not my class, and self-study this summer, are sufficient background. After taking a university intro Mandarin class this year, I've learned about 500 words (realistically remembering 75% of them on any given day) and would certainly be above the 100 level class if they're starting from "ni hao". I was just worried at first... If it were more like 800 characters/words is the bare minimum, and you're done for without that base, then I'd probably end up running down a level too :cry: The interview still worries me a bit, though, since my spoken Chinese could be quite weak after a summer with nobody to practice with =P

When it comes to the class make up, I'm probably most interested in how the course itself is structured. Granted you'll only know your level in detail, but were the classes generally in a big block in the morning or spread through the day? Were you bombarded with homework or did you still have plenty of time to relax and actually absorb the culture, learning through exposure in the city at large? How did you find the pace of the classes? ...and finally, which courses actually made up your core set (ie. mandatory ones as opposed to electives)?

The above questions are really just to settle my nerves and give me a clearer picture, given the lack of a brochure explaining it all, but I'm sure the info will come at some point :lol: If you have any wisdom on the international dorms, though, that would be a huge help. According to the International Students' Office, all of the CSC scholarship students are placed in No 1 International Student Building (Liyun Apts.) and have double/shared rooms. I was considering trying to upgrade to No 2 or 3 to have my own bedroom, but I wasn't sure if it was worth the cost or if having a roommate is helpful when you're suddenly, essentially alone in a foreign country.

As no one else seems to be helping me, you're stuck with my 3 year old experience ...

The beginner's class, 100, starts as if you've never seen a chinese character in your life before. It's not the end of the world as they progress relatively quickly, but aim for class 101. As I say, if you've not had formal education before (I hadn't) then learn some "school" vocabulary; but as you have had formal teaching you'll be fine.

Don't worry about the placement test or interview. They're both done very quickly and as I said above they're just trying to give you an inital placement.

In 101 and I think same for 100 there was listening, speaking and reading. 102 introduces newspaper reading. The lessons are good; they overlap (so in speaking you'll be chatting about getting around beijing; listening will be a recording of someone taking a taxi around beijing and grammar will be how to say you enjoy riding and visiting historical sites etc.). I thought the BNU lessons were good.

The timetable varies. Each class in each level has a different timetable. The lessons are randomly spread around the five days so you're not likely to have all mornings or all afternoons off. However, there's plenty of time to explore the city. You get a week off in October as well. BNU is well located; a long-ish walk or short cycle will take you to Houhai. And a bus will take you to the town centre, or anywhere, really.

I don't know about dorms 1 or 2. In Dorm 3 I had a flat mate (two small bedrooms, shared living space and bathroom) and that was enough integration for me. I'm not a young student any more, so am not into sharing rooms. I wasn't into sharing rooms back then, either, to be honest ;)

Great reading:) I'm also thinking about going to BNU this fall or next atumn. It's great to get tips from others doing the same.

Is the application hard? Anything special to consider, I'm new at this so any hints would be appriciated.

See you around.

The application is pretty easy, just follow all the directions and you will be fine. I think the only part that is kinda difficult is when it asks you for your hours of Chinese study, just try to be as accurate as possible, I'm sure that the office is not going to write those numbers into stone and have it effect your placement. b/c remember there is a placement test

@Frans

Yeah, this thread has been great. Hopefully we'll be seeing you there in the fall ^^

@adrianlondon

Its cool. I doubt much has changed in three years, and either way, you've been a huge help. Slightly out of date but practical info is considerably more useful than anything in the official brochure above.

That two bedroom style flat is actually the dorm I was most interested in. Its what I've been used to for the past few years of university and strikes a good balance between being alone and having someone snoring right next to you =P It also means a bit more secuirty for personal belongings. Hopefully there's a way to upgrade and I won't hit a bureaucratic brick wall. Are the dorms all fairly diverse when it comes to students' country of origin? I'm atually looking forward to that aspect of studying in China, where even many of the other foreign/language students may not be fluent in English and Chinese will quickly become the common language.

Also, I am hoping to do some domestic travel during my two years, either on a week holiday, summer break or even on a weekend if its a short jaunt like heading to Tianjin. Do you know if there are any restrictions on this? other than particular regions which are closed to tourists and not missing class of course...

You can extend whilst there. The longer you stay, the more money the Uni gets so they'll definitely help you.

If you don't take the exams at the end of the semester, or royally screw them up, then they can throw you out (i.e. not allow you to proceed to the next semester). However, you'd have to be using them as nothing more than an expensive visa service to mess the exams up that bad. And you can always go to BLCU and continue ;)