Chinese-Forums

Think About What You're Eating In China

anonymoose

ha, the monkey thing is not something I have seen or heard about due to being in Taiyuan. It is actually something my grandmother had told me that she encountered in a more rural area of southern China (i forget where now), but she had a table that at least had a hole in the middle that looked to be usable for that. Of course, whoever sold her the table may have just been lying to her and she got her story from there - but, whether or not it truly exists, I think the way it has been described to me it sounds like a pretty horrific thing for people to do.

When I was in Hangzhou last December, I went to that theme-park 'Song Cheng' 宋城. There was dog on the menu at one of the eating places. I specifically remember dog soup. I didn't indulge.

I've been wondering if this is a typical laowai's mentality:

Have a look at this thread, in which a number of laowais commented, and count the instances of "inhumane" and "violation of rights" you encounter. That might give you a first hint.

That said, there certainly are those that will argue similarly to what you mentioned, but usually it is not defined along the lines of "you eat, i don't eat" but rather of how close to humans that animal is perceived in a different culture. Dogs in many Western cultures are referred to as man's best friend, so obviously for many people it seems weird, preposterous even, to eat them. Few people will complain, however, that Chinese people eat silkworms, for instance, even though that would be just as unthinkable in these societies.

Out of curiosity, I searched for 猴脑 on baidu, and it turns out that there are actually discussions about this and alleged pictures. Almost all the comments are in the way of disgust and disbelief. There is suggestion that this is done in Guangdong and that this might have been the way that SARS was transmitted. So there you go.

alleged pictures

Yes. That is the problem. The pictures are always alleged. No one ever actually produces one that isn't obviously photoshopped.. 

I'd love to know how you're going to be sure you're avoiding the undue pain and suffering bit - given that the dog supply to restaurants will be entirely unregulated and underground, I'll wager they're not even enjoying factory-farmed-pigs level of comfort. I'm afraid you, sir, need to go vegetarian when in China.

At least you can raise and slaughter your own if there is really no one you can trust in China, and if you can't live without meat.