Chinese-Forums

Mysterious Beer...what The Hell Did I Drink?

aristotle1990

So last night I was dragged along by a couple of friends to Chocolate (a place not exactly known for the high quality of its alcohol -- I would not have stepped in there otherwise). Thinking the beer would be the safest thing on the menu, I ordered a glass of "Beijing Draft" (whatever that is). When it arrived, one of my friends remarked that the foam seemed off -- it seemed to float at the top, and it didn't really dissipate. I, not much of a big drinker, didn't think this was anything especially unusual, and so I drank it. The flavor seemed slightly weaker than your average Chinese pale lager, but the most off-putting thing about the whole thing was that it didn't get me drunk or buzzed at all, only slightly dizzy. (Usually a glass that big will get me at least a slight buzz, but this did nothing.) I left shortly thereafter, drinking nothing else that night but water. I feel kind of funny today (thankfully, no "screaming headache"), but I can't tell whether this is a case of 疑心生暗鬼 or whether there was actually something in that beer that shouldn't have been there. I hope the only thing wrong with it was that it was watered down -- I ask because I know stuff like this is not uncommon. Similar experiences?

Maybe you will be comforted to know that Beijing Beer is joint venture with Asahi:

http://www.beijingbeer.com.cn/beer/index.asp

But then there is this review in City Weekend, which might be a little unsettling for you.

http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/listings/nightlife/nightclub/has/chocolate/

No idea why this place has been such a hit. Sure, the fellini-esque atmosphere is amusing for about 10 minutes, and then quickly loses it's charm when you realize that the staff are surly, rude beyond belief and next to useless. The alcohol used in cocktails is without a doubt fake and will reward you with a screaming hangover, and you will be charged 10 kuai per glass if you want water, despite whatever amount you have spent on dinner and drinks. But the best reason to avoid this place like the plague? - the 14 year old baby hookers (or are they 15?? Well underage in any case) that are openly working in here. Shut it down!

I was thinking that maybe the beer was just watery and had little alcohol in it, but then I read this post. Haha. Wow you kind of got screwed man.

Maybe you will be comforted to know that Beijing Beer is joint venture with Asahi:

http://www.beijingbeer.com.cn/beer/index.asp

But then there is this review in City Weekend, which might be a little unsettling for you.