Chinese-Forums

Phrases - Big list

website

I don't have these phrases in my textbook and it's 3:20 AM now.

If people could translate some or all of these phrases into Pinyin, I am sure many Mandarin learners in this forum would be delighted. I want to compile a handy resource guide of Chinese phrases. I just don't know how to construct these sentence into workable translations. I'm a big list-maker. I keep lists of words and phrases that I want to use, but

don't know.

"I can't deal with it."

"Have I got a deal for you."

"What is the deal with this book?"

"Dealing with a tense situation."

"Big deal."

"So what?"

"nerd"

"makes you look old"

"pull yourself together, man"

"I got my wish."

"have the last word"

"shoot the breeze"

"walk around" Qu sanbu???

"have the last word"

"get up to speed"

"hard as nails"

"as clean as this"

"pillar of society"

"talk about me" Shuo dayue wo???

"take it"

"fill in the form"

"do me a favor"

"cross the street"

"wised up to their old tricks"

"body hair is a big turn-off"

"We look down on beggars."

"open-mind"

"small-minded"

"tune out"

"not yet"

"long way to go"

"semi-conductor"

"long way to go"

"gaps in my Chinese"

"making slow, but steady progress"

"bad impression"

"trust me on this" Xinren wo zai zhege???

"makes you look old"

"keep in mind"

"don't be late" Bu yao ni wan???

"Do you mind?"

"What about me?"

"That's it, I've had it."

"That's it, that's the one."

"common-sense"

"What about it?

"This kind is for cats."

"throw money around like there's no tomorrow"

"drum up support"

"I had better go."

"under construction"

"on the condition that he does"

"sack lunch" Bao wufan??? Dai wufan???

"sold out"

"hard to say"

"take a picture of you"

"just put it on" Gang fang ta zai???

"wind up the clock"

"ask directions"

"go around the block"

"write it down" Xie ta xia???

"plug it in"

"What happened?"

"dressing room"

"classified ads"

"3rd world country"

"try it on"

"bear in mind"

"touched a nerve"

"cover the same old ground"

"talk about it"

"Does it matter?"

"break the law" Huaile falu???

"You are way off base."

"kick the bucket"

"goof-off"

"drive a hard bargain"

"long time, no see" Hen jiu, bu jian???

"run up a tab"

"keep tabs on"

"ulterior motive"

"out of shape"

"be patient"

"physical training"

"live broadcast"

"start somewhere"

"the bigger the better"

"proud of you"

"stick to it"

"spill your secrets"

"ask her out on a date"

"good for you"

"make us into fools"

"force my hand"

"May you live in interesting times."

"That is just not the case."

"time is tight"

"flat broke"

"full speed ahead"

"give me a hand"

"grim-reaper"

"make an effort"

"step up to bat"

"run into a brick wall"

"tongue tied"

"go ahead of me"

"make my day"

"take care"

"cut the grass"

"couch potato"

"social outcast"

"struck out"

"stick out"

"Cut it out!"

I'm sorry the lists is so large and I hope you can understand. I'm hoping people can help eager learners here. I'm tired of being hindered by my lack of Chinese in conversations and needing to come up with a fast work around. I can usually get my meaning across, but it takes twice as long as it would in English.

website I remember you said you've been learning Chinese on and off for 7 years, you have access to a chinese girlfriend, and you live in China. Yet, you cannot really converse in Chinese, nor understand what others say to you; all you hear after 7 years of learning is still "xin din ching chong".

Might I point out that you've been learning it the wrong way?

I'm sorry the lists is so large and I hope you can understand. I'm hoping people can help eager learners here. I'm tired of being hindered by my lack of Chinese in conversations and needing to come up with a fast work around. I can usually get my meaning across, but it takes twice as long as it would in English.

This is an awful lot of work. Since you are in China and have been having a hard time learning the language, it might be a good idea to hook up with someone there who wants to learn English and have them help you with the phrases as you help that person with their questions.

Website - your email account is full and the new password you requested bounced back to the forums admin account - you are probably reading this wondering how you can log in. Email admin@chinese-forums.com with an email address that works and I'll give you the new password.

I don't have these phrases in my textbook

Who does?! At some point you've got to get the grammar and vocabulary to put your own sentences together.

Roddy

This may sound mean, but even if you could use this forum as your free tutoring/translation service, it would be much more beneficial for yourself to study Chinese in a systematic way.

i agree.

:nono

don't be afraid to ask a Chinese speaker in person about these phrases... when they say it. repeat it to yourself. then try to write it down and use it later. :-) be disciplined. drill yourself in your spare time. try to think in chinese. avoid thinking in english. :D

wo yao mai SHU.

wo yao mai ZHEI BEN SHU.

wo yao mai LIANG LIANG QICHE.

wo yao mai DONGXI.

learn the patterns, then you can make your own phrases.

please consider this advice. it may help.

Some people may disagree, but I think people cannot just study grammar

to learn a language. Language learners also need to learn phrases. I doubt phrases like "bust a move" or "over the hill" are in many textbooks.

Grammar can only take language students so far.

Some people may disagree, but I think people cannot just study grammar

to learn a language. Language learners also need to learn phrases. I doubt phrases like "bust a move" or "over the hill" are in many textbooks.

Grammar can only take language students so far.

OK, here are some more comments:

I get the impression that you have had trouble with Chinese, even after years of study and living in China. A lot of the phrases you ask for are really beyond your current needs. You don't need to know "kick the bucket" when si3 will do.

Once you decide to postpone idioms, you can use your grammar skills to to figure you how to translate the base meaning of the phrases.

A number of the phrases really are simple statements or can be found in the dictionary. "Not yet" is hai2 mei2 you3,. Semiconductor, ban4dao3ti3, is in the dictionary.

As I said earlier, you should make friends with a Chinese there in China and ask them these questions.

You asked for translations of 114 phrases. Estimating an optimistic 30 seconds per phrase, you are asking for someone to spend 57 minutes translating phrases for you.

I looked at some of your other posts. I can see you are still learning a lot of basic Chinese. A better way to ask questions is to limit your query to a single question and explain what you have tried to do so far to figure it out. You have done that in some of your other posts. Also, find a teacher while you are in China. Take advantage of your situation.

Thanks for the comments. I have made up a lot of phrases when speaking if I don't know the exact translation of

something. I just wanted to add some phrases to my vocabulary so I could be more precise. Ironically it

is a little difficult to learn Chinese in China. I have an English TV channel, the Internet, and my GF speaks nearly perfect English. I know this isn't entirely true, but it seems like the only two

types of Chinese people here are the ones who speak good English and the ones who don't know any. The English speakers

don't want to speak Chinese and I can barely understand the Chinese speakers.

BTW, I don't expect one person to translate the whole list, but I was hoping people could each translate

at least a couple of phrases. If this forum isn't for helping people learn Chinese then what is it good for? I could walk outside and ask a bunch of random people, but I don't that's very polite

or efficient.

If this forum isn't for helping people learn Chinese then what is it good for?

you make a good point. we are here to help each other. :D

I could walk outside and ask a bunch of random people, but I don't that's very polite or efficient.

another good point. does anybody have any recommendations about how to solve this problem?

i was thinking maybe pointing at things at small shops is a good choice, but i'm guessing the shop owners are speaking cantonese there, huh. hmmm ... you pose a good question, website. i'll think about this for a while and come up with an answer, i hope.

:conf

i am sure other members will have better answers...

i was thinking maybe pointing at things at small shops is a good choice, but i'm guessing the shop owners are speaking cantonese there, huh. hmmm ... you pose a good question, website. i'll think about this for a while and come up with an answer, i hope.

I was in China for two weeks in 2001 and although I was part of a tour group I found Chinese to speak with, although i was in Beijing and Xian so I was in a Mandarin-speaking area. Some of the people were:

• A woman who followed me along my walk on the Great Wall so that she could sell me books at the end of the trek.
  • People in the hospital where I spent the night after getting hypothermia.
  • Lots of people selling stuff to tourists.
  • Cab drivers, including one who couldn't find the Beijing Hard Rock Cafe from Tianenmen Square, and another who didn't know how to get back.

I'll admit that like website, I didn't watch much Chinese TV because I can't understand it either, I could converse in Chinese, though, once I got used to the person's accent. It just took going out and doing stuff. I suspect that website doesn't want to spend his time buying Rolex and waving Mao watches, but if I could find people to speak to while travelling with a group of American tourists, website should be able to do the same. It may be better for him to learn Cantonese, though, if he is going to stay in Shenzhen.