Chinese-Forums

What was the last Chinese film you watched?

Chinadoog

• 2 weeks later...

I have just seen the Taiwan film 被偷走的那五年 which is directed by HK director Barbara Wong. It is an ok film, properly made, though the story is not that original. It is like blending the US film The Vow and the French film Amour together.

The accent of the female lead 白百何 sounds quite Mainland, and is not very convincing as a Taiwan person.

The accent of the female lead 白百何 sounds quite Mainland, and is not very convincing as a Taiwan person.

What about the accent of Dao Ming Si's mother in the romantic idol drama "Meteor Garden"?

http://sugoits.info/...n-episode-14/2/

When I first saw the drama, I thought she sounded mainlandish compared to the way everyone else in the program spoke.

Kobo.

• 1 month later...

I recently saw New Dragon Gate Inn 新龍(龙)門(门)客棧(栈). It's a remake of Dragon Inn or Dragon Gate Inn, a 1967 wuxia film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Inn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Dragon_Gate_Inn

I'd seen the movie before on VHS, but, that was back in the days of the VCR. Before home computers and the world wide web.

Didn't enjoy it much then. It's set in the desert and the yellowish tint to the entire movie was a major turnoff. Didn't know any of the actors back then either.

Now, I know Donnie Yen. Not exactly my favorite actor. And Maggie Cheung. Liked her in In The Mood For Love. Heard that Brigette Lin got hurt in the eye by one of the millions of arrows flying throughout the picture.

This time I was able to pause and rewind to my hearts content on the computer. Couldn't do that with the VCR too many times before you had to take it in to get it repaired.  :)

I also downloaded a subtitle file to read along and to cut and paste for words I didn't know.

Learned about the 東(东)廠(厂) or "east factory".

Kobo.

I recently saw 南京!南京! It's not a bad movie, it's actually quite good. But Nanjing movies are always lots of rape and murder punctuated with some heroic self-sacrifice and frankly I've had enough, if at all possible this will have been the last Nanjing movie I have ever watched.

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched 被偷走的那五年 (The Stolen Years).  I'd give it a big thumbs up and say definitely worth the watch.  My wife cried and kept asking me why it had to be so sad…  Part of me liked it maybe because it wasn't your typical Chinese love story where you know exactly how it's going to end.  In the past year, the majority of the movies I've enjoyed the most have been Taiwan movies….  now only if the guys can just get rid of that terrible accent :)

On a side note, I'm coming off a terrible streak of two 刘德华 (Andy Lau) movies which I considered near unwatchable.  One of them being 盲探 (Blind Detective), which somehow had decent ratings… the 富春山居图 (Fuchun Mountain Painting?),  which may rank as one of the worst movies ever….  

Since you're criticizing native speakers (whose accents are correct by definition), your own accent must be quite impressive. Why don't you put a recording of yourself up so we can all marvel at how you show up all those Taiwanese people and their terrible accents?

• Like 1

@OneEye - sorry if I offended you.  It was meant to be a joke.  I'm sorry if it did not come off that way.

I have a friend from Taiwan here in China and he and we poke fun at each other...  He makes fun of my English accent (from the Northwestern part of the US), and I poke fun at his Taiwanese accent.  All in good fun.

I wish my Putonghua was at the level of a native Taiwan speaker!

@OneEye.  All is good.  I should be more careful about careless comments in the future.  It's one thing doing it with a friend who I know well, it's another doing it on an online forum.  My apologies and a lesson learned.

Prisoners is OK.  I saw the same Director's "Incendies" when it was released a couple of years ago and liked it immensely.  I think it is a great film.  This was why when I saw his name on a Prisoners' poster in Paris a few weeks ago I decided I had to see it immediately.  Try it.  It is not a Chinese film, though. :D  A Canadian-French film.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/incendies/

Watch - http://v.baidu.com/movie_intro/?id=19493&page=1

@skylee - I watched Prisoners last night.  It was good, I enjoyed it.  I will have to watch "Incendies"

Last night I also watched 一夜惊喜。I didn't think I was going to like it, but I ended up enjoying it a lot.  

on a 范冰冰 kick lately, watched 二次曝光 earlier today, which I somehow missed when it came out a few years ago.  In any case, it was a good movie and definitely worth the watch.  十分是满分我给七分.

陳德聰

Posted Today, 04:23 AM

七分值得看么? I still haven't seen her act, I am curious.

My rating scale is very tough.  I've never given a movie a 10, because I reserve that for the "perfect" movie, rarely do I give out 9's, so 7 and 8's are good scores in my book :)

I like 范冰冰.  She's a good actress who not only is attractive, but also can act.

The latest Judge Dee movie, Judge Dee and the seamonster or some such title. It. Is. Awesome. Totally over the top. Plot goes in various directions, but it has lots of fighting, a scene in a dyeing factory with endless rows of fabric hanging out to dry, and a seamonster that's none too shabby. I was a bit disappointed at first that there were seamonsters and such, but although that makes it different from the Judge Dee I know from the books, it's still great. I especially loved the scene with the horse.

And on top of that it was the European premiere in what must be the world's second most beautiful cinema, namely the one at the Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw. (The most beautiful one being Tuschinski in Amsterdam.)