Chinese-Forums

Tattoo phrase

furiously

I've used a number of online generators but as it is a permanent piece of artwork, I thought it'd be best to involve the help of someone more knowledgeable on the language to accurately translate a phrase.

English phrase: It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them

Babelfish translation (http://au.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt): 它是更加恥辱的懷疑我們的朋友比將由他們欺騙

If it is possible, and I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could help re translate the phrase, and perhaps make it shorter whilst still maintaining a degree of meaning.

Kind regards, hope someone can help me.

Yeah that's definitely why I came here looking for some help.

Anyway I entered your translation into babelfish 'mushroom' and instead of friend it was 'person'. So I'm not sure, oh and for aesthetics is there a way the phrase could be made longer in chinese, as it looks abit short and I plan to get it on my spine.

Kind regards

The phrase mushroom gave you is actually a real idiom from Records of the Three Kingdoms, see http://dict.idioms.moe.edu.tw/mandarin/fulu/dict/cyd/40/cyd40733.htm, http://baike.baidu.com/view/952704.htm . It carries a noble and heroic connotation. And yes, it is "person" rather than "friend". The meaning is roughly "I'd rather be wronged by others, than wrong others myself".

Mushroom's version is written using traditional characters, the simplified version is 宁人负我,无我负人.

In my opinion, it is better to get a real Chinese idiom which has history and meaning, than to tattoo an approximate translation of an English phrase. Also keep in mind that Chinese idioms tend to be short and to the point, usually only four characters in length. This one is already quite long.

EDIT: I mixed up two different sayings, so I edited this post to avoid confusing any people. See mushroom's post below.

• Like 1

Anyway I entered your translation into babelfish 'mushroom' and instead of friend it was 'person'.

Never, ever judge the phrasing and aesthetics of another language using your own. Languages don't work that way. If the English wording is important to you, have the phrase tattooed on you in English. Otherwise you should go with what sounds good in the target language.

Have a look at the picture I've attached. That is what happens when you stubbornly insist on keeping the wording of your own language and disregard what it might sound like in translation.

post-19228-037864500 1290693882_thumb.jpg

Be careful!!! The opposite direction!!!

「寧人負我,無我負人。」 said by 羅仇, who is uncle of 沮渠蒙遜 (Juqu Mengxun)

「寧我負人,毋人負我。」 said by 曹操 (Cao Cao)

Finally,

羅仇 was killed by someone he trusted.

曹操 killed someone who trusted him.

Both idioms are from Records of History. If you want a definite translation from above English phrase, you can try:

「負友恥於友負。」 or 「懷疑朋友比被朋友欺騙更可恥。」 translated by 香菇 (mushroom)

(but I think idiom from history book is more aesthetic.)

====

The chinese which I and FURIOUSLY keyin is in traditional, RENZHE's is in simplify.

you can easily covert chinese by Firefox+新同文堂.

Hey guys thanks for the responses and advice, I am looking for a traditional form yes.

Actually the phrase I want translated is from Confucius himself, however I could not find the phrase in its original Chinese form.

If you guys believe that it still retains it's true meaning then I guess that's okay.

However the 'friend' part is kind of important, instead of distrusting just any person, if you know what I mean?

How about 'brother' or something with a more intimate relationship than just person.

I don't wish to be stubborn about the 'aesthetics' but just throwing some suggestions and possibilities.

As I am really uninformed, and its quite important that I get the write characters hehe.

There are lots of references in google to this quote being from Confucius, but, tellingly, none provide a source. I had a quick look through the Analects (论语) and couldn't see anything like it.

On the other hand, I can find a specific reference to it being published by François de La Rochefoucauld, a French 'author of maxims' in the 17th century. It was maxim number 84 in his book 'Reflections; or Sentences and Moral Maxims' (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_de_La_Rochefoucauld and google books). Maybe you'd be better off getting a tattoo of "Il est plus honteux de se défier de ses amis que d'en être trompé."

Is it possible to make it somehow longer? and instead of person have something or more intimate relation? Like brother?

This is a fixed phrase. Of course, extending or otherwise changing it is technically possible, but then you completely destroy its deeper historical and linguistic value.

You can substitute 'friend' for 'person' if you want:

寧友負我,無我負友

It retains the same form as the original and would clearly appear to be a derivative to any Chinese reader. I don't know about destroying "deeper historical and linguistic value" - it's a personal tattoo, not a philosophical or linguistic work.