Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua Spring / Feb Semester 2011 [Chinese Language Program]

lamchr

Have you taken any Chinese language courses before? I started at the absolute beginner level and I'm pretty satisfied so far. One of them is awesome; she explains everything and the material we're covering is highly practical. The other two are okay; they are less experienced and use more rote learning methods, which I assume is par for the course. As for choosing a university course versus a private school course, I think that depends on your priorities. I would guess that a private school might be better if you want to be completely focused in learning the language and meeting other foreign students. A university might be better if you want to be part of a larger and more diverse community.

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi lamchr,

I have similar plans: I want to speed-learn Chinese in a year. I'm looking for the most intensive course around and, antisocial as it is, have no interest in being in an international community. My aim, rather, is to be completely immersed in Chinese, live with a Chinese family, and not speak English for a year. I'm looking for 25 hours or more per week, small classes, v intensive. I have a little spoken Chinese but little else, so it's quite an ambitious plan! Have you heard of any intensive language programs that might satisfy these ambitions?

I look forward to hearing from you - and thanks in advance!

Polly

I can only speak for the Tsinghua Chinese Language Program, but it sounds like you are interested in a more ambitious program than the one offered here. Classes here are 20 hours a week, the class sizes are about 12-18 students, and while I find that the classes are not lax, they're not highly intensive either. I don't know of any students who are living with a Chinese family; everyone that I know of is in the foreign students dormitory or in their own apartment off campus. Tsinghua does have a highly intensive program called the Inter-University Program for Chinese Language Studies (http://ieas.berkeley.edu/iup/index.html) and I have heard great reviews from that program, but you already have to be at the intermediate level to enroll and it's quite expensive. I think that Tsinghua's Chinese Language Program is a great fit for most people, but if you want a truly immersive experience, you might be better off looking at a more specialized program. Good luck with your studies!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm also looking do an intensive course.

I've just checked out the aforementioned IUP Chinese Program @ Tsinghua.

Just about everything about it sounds good; except the fees:

US$500 - application fee

US$14,000 - 32 weeks of instruction

This is literally 10x the amount for other similar programs around.

I find this absolutely ludicrous.

In comparison, Renmin University of China offers an intensive program for 21,500RMB ~ US$3500

Can anyone here who been through it justify the price?

I cannot justify the price differential, but there is a big difference in quality of programs. Do a search on the site on IUP, ICLP, and CET-Harbin (the big 3 that cost an arm and a leg) and you'll see what I'm talking about.