Chinese-Forums

From Korean to Classical Chinese

jachristen

Is it 160 years or 167 years?

I think 事 in the first sentence does not mean service. How about incident? In that chapter (刺客列傳) there are several stories about different assassins, one incident after another.

As to 說, would persuade be better than convince?

Perhaps you could translate 事 as 'affair' here?

I'm not quite sure what 將有 means either, but your translation is as good a guess as any. It's got to mean something like that.

In 以次傳三弟, I'm not sure where you're getting the 'by means of which' from. Is that from the 以? I think 以次 just means 'in turn' or something like that.

Finally, I wouldn't translate 得 as 'profit' here :)

• 9 months later...

Hello! I am nearly finished with Rouzer's book now, just about to polish off the final chapters (yes, I have been lazy and taken it slow). Things got easier for a while, then harder again with 莊子, but I seem to have largely gotten into the flow with him barring a few weird sentences that I had to struggle to make full sense of. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a sensible next step. Is there a good follow-up book out there (it need not have Korean pronunciations in it, but it ought not to rely on knowledge of modern Mandarin, which I do not know)? Or am I going to have to simply dive in and start working my way through texts and checking my translations against others?