Chinese-Forums

update on mouse-over translators (free)

Pengyou

Which add-ins, and what would you call "True" mouse-over translation?

Edit: Actually, do you want to edit that in to the first post, along with links to the old topics for anyone who's interested.

Have you tried the Chinese Perapera-Kun add-on for Firefox?

The Perakun 2.1 version upgrade seems to have broken the word list sidebar. It was working in 2.0.

You can find the Perakun 2.0 installation file (XPI file) here (click on "Perapera-kun 2.0").

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/23226-perapera-kun-20/page__view__findpost__p__190288

Perapera-kun 2.0

To reinstall 2.0 instead of 2.1

1. Uninstall 2.1 (you can leave the dictionary in place)

2. Download 2.0 XPI file

3. Open the 2.0 XPI file in Firefox (File->Open File)

4. Make sure you have one of the Perakun dictionaries installed as before

Now you should be able to save a you are looking up by clicking 's'. The word list sidebar should show up. You can export your word list in the sidebar by selecting the words you want and clicking on "Entries".

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I was supposed to do something here, wasn't I? :blink:

I actually have never used that feature in any version, so I'm not sure what to look for. I just have some vague memory of reading about that in the changes....

If you have a dictionary file you could use something like StarDict or GoldenDict for the popup reference. They will work in most programs and can be set with a keyboard shortcut so only popup if you select the text and then use ctrl+c for example.

I'm currently using one for Tranditional translation for Jyutping in GoldenDict. I had some problems with StarDict crashing. Need to sort out the display font which apparently is possible, but the program is in its infancy so you have to create a style sheet. Worth a try though. It has a lot of potential.

MDBG has a trial version of their paid program and I found that to be quite good. What turned me away wasn't the price. It was the Romanisation. I write in Jyutping and don't plan on changing now.