Chinese-Forums

Turkey

Ian_Lee

During the period between Thanksgiving and New Year in US, turkeys face their darkest days.

But is turkey used in any East or Southeast Asian cuisine and Chinese cuisine in particular?

Hardly can I think of any.

The reasons may be:

(1) Most Asian families don't have a huge oven in their kitchens;

(2) They don't drive to buy grocery. It is a humbug for the housewife to hand carry a 25-lb turkey back home;

(3) The taste of turkey is really bland that even all the spices Asians know in cooking cannot help.

But actually part of turkey has been my favorite snack in the cinemas when I was a kid. Some eateries near the cinemas used to make cold marinated cooked turkey kidney for takeout order. They sliced it into thin slices, poured a few drops of sesame oil, and attached some toothpicks for you to pick them up inside the cinema.

At the days when the risk of cholestrol was unknown, I devoured at least hundreds of turkey kidneys.

Why didn't those eateries use chicken kidneys instead? Because chicken's were too small in size.