Chinese-Forums

when is using 好得很 ok?

geek_frappa

好得很's "好" is referring more to someone/something's condition rather than mood or atmosphere, so you have to be asked about someone or something's condition to respond with this phrase. Like how's your mood, how's your new puppy doing...etc. "很好" is a more common and safe way to respond posivitely to any question, though.

I'd say the difference between "好得很!" and "很好!" would be that you can use the first in a sarcastic way without meaning to easier than you can with the second way. It's kinda subtle; like the difference between "Just great!" and "Great!" For instance, if someone asks his friend how his relationship with his girlfriend is doing, knowing full well they hate each other, the guy can answer, "Just great; thanks for caring"; "好得很,多谢你关心" and it can easily sound sarcastic.

That's my attempt at an explanation...correct me if I'm wrong, people 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I can consider in some situation 好得很 can be used properly:

somebody ask u for a dinner or invite u to attend a party, and u accept it without being modest, say that. :D (better to add 啊)

never try to use that when ur chinese friend say some 客气话(sth. they really dont wanna do) :shock:

• 4 weeks later...

There is nothing wrong with 好得很! It is perfectly acceptable Chinese. I hear it said a lot here (I actually was under the impression it was kind of regional until I read this thread), but usually in an overly enthusiastic, playful manner (sometimes sarcastic too like Xiao Yu said). Actually, I've heard quite a few adjectives use 得很 in this way.

It's acceptable but not perfect Chinese, as we say you are speaking English-Chinese, as not the perfect Chinese. 非常好 may be the alternative way but def not 好得很! If you happen to have chance to ask any Chinese people out there, they would tell you the same thing.

It isn't English-Chinese! I hear this phrase from Chinese speakers all the time. If it were English-Chinese, why would Chinese native speakers spontaneously say this on their own? I live in China, so of course I have the chance to ask people, but I don't need to ask, because I've heard it spoken before. What leads you to believe that this phrase is somehow bad Chinese?

I agree with 39degN.

If you say 好得很 is not English-Chinese, I take it, and I would say 好得很 is bad Chinese, as we all speak 'bad languages' sometimes, eg, I don't know nothing. It's acceptable and understandable and verbally OK. It's ok if you use it but as a non-Chinese speaker, you've got to be careful because it can be something very different.

If you say 好得很 is not English-Chinese, I take it, and I would say 好得很 is bad Chinese, as we all speak 'bad languages' sometimes, eg, I don't know nothing. It's acceptable and understandable and verbally OK. It's ok if you use it but as a non-Chinese speaker, you've got to be careful because it can be something very different.

Ok, that makes more sense. I agree that it isn't the most grammatically perfect sentence. You would never see it in written Chinese (unless it was from a dialogue!), but colloquially I think it is fine. But you are right that non-native speakers have to be more careful about bending the rules in any language, English included (your "I don't know nothing" is a good example. People will say that, but it isn't correct grammar. You risk sounding ignorant). People might not realize it is intentional.

That's right Tsunku, as language learnings we all encounter problems like that. From my personal views, I would not bother to use any bad laguages unless I fully understand how to use them and where, as 好得很 involves lots of emotional implications, it seems better if you use it as 好得很呢/啊 and stress either 好 or 很 at the same time.