Chinese-Forums

Which one sounds better?

rezaf

Hello Kenny,

This time I couldn't open your file, even not with Quicktime... so I ended up looking for an online tool to convert the file to an mp3 file. Since I'm probably not the only one having trouble playing the file, I attached it to this post.

We are also happy to have you on this forum; you have have helped many of us... ;)

To be clear, this is Kenny's recording not mine. If only my Chinese would be this good one day... :rolleyes:

kenny2006woo.mp3

• Like 3

I just have to recommend the VLC player to all my dear fellow forum members. So far I have not had any problem opening files downloaded from here with it, be it video or audio. Google with the name and you will find download links.

Apparently I was using an older version of VLC and the update functionality didn't seem to work anymore... Anyway I reinstalled VLC and now I can also directly play Kenny's file with VLC. They must have added it recently (and didn't update their website yet).

我说了你可千万别介意,你的口音和叫兽小星真的很像……

Lol, no worries. B)

That’s quite a speech! I was only meaning for the sentence/paragraph that rezaf posted.

Haha, well, it was kind of one. :wub:

Your aspirated obstruents aren't aspirated enough. They sound unaspirated. For example, 本科 sound like 本歌. Your unaspirated obstruents sound voiced. For example the initial of 自, which should be /ts/, sounds like /dz/; or the initial of 得, which should be /t/, sound like /d/.

Rezaf

The recording is already very good, in fact, better than many native speakers in terms of pronunciation.

However, if you strive for perfection, perhaps you should take note of two or three words not so well enunciated – 大家好(好sounds more like 豪), 大学(大 lacks strength), 对大家(so does 对 here).

You don’t need to worry too much about this as few people’s pronunciation is perfect in a strict sense.

Thanks guys for your help. As some of my family members are from somewhere close to Shandong I traced back some of my mistakes like 好,自,科 to their dialect. I will try to correct my Mandarin and send another recording soon.

Sounds very good to me too. Some small nitpicks, mostly on tones:

留学生 - Your 生 sounds more like shang1 than sheng1

本科学位 - 本 sounds cut-off, should be enunciated fully (including the 'n' sound)

论坛上 - 上 sounds more like shang1 than shang4

内容 - Sounds toneless, there should be a bit more 4th tone on nei4 at least (and some 2nd on rong2 if you like)

新的东西 - Sounds like xin4, should be xin1

所以 - Sounds like yi2, should be yi3 (or yi5 in some areas perhaps)

方法 - Sounds like fang4, should be fang1

These are just my personal opinions - not gospel by any means. You're fully understandable and fluent-sounding.

Both your 叫 and 药 sound fine to me. In slower speech the differences between 'ia' and 'iao' will probably be easier to hear.

Two more I missed out, after reading kennywoo's post and relistening:

中医药大学 - 大 sounds like da2, should be da4 (which is the same as kennywoo's comment that it "lacks strength")

对大家 - 对 isn't fully enunciated, I can't quite hear the "d" consonant

Shouldn't 上 be in neutral tone here anyway?

Should it? Maybe I need to be corrected in this regard, so if we have confirmation... Still, I'm quite sure shang4 would be considered valid too.

When people use neutral tones, I generally accept them as valid, but rezaf's here doesn't quite sound like a neutral tone to me.