Chinese-Forums

論語

LyYenKhang

How long, or of what value, is a Xerox copy of a work printed off of Wikisource? Having it as a book would not make it more aesthetically pleasing, but also more durable. Reading off a computer screen comes only with great difficulty for me. I want a book that I can mark up and get familiar with. Maybe its just sentimentalism. You can't pass on a binder of Wikisource pages on to posterity!

There was a bunch of English translations.

Not any "canonical urtext", if such a publication exists and is available in print in the States.

The Wikisource link is excellent - exactly what I'm looking for, I'm just wondering if they have that in a published form. With no/or minimal commentary in Chinese or English, and just the original work in traditional characters.

Not to be rude -- but are you at a level that you can read this without any commentary? You give your level as "不才無用". 論語 is something that even native Chinese speakers need to learn how to read. Before you spend money on this, have you taken a look at it online to see how it looks?

@jbradfor

It's OK. The reason why I don't want English commentary is that my native language is Vietnamese and I want a "clean copy" with only Chinese characters that I can refer to along with a copy with Vietnamese commentary. Surely the Vietnamese commentaters have much more to say than any Sinologist (in my opinion). My own Chinese is elementary, having never taken any formal lessons (though I hope to do so this following year when I seek matriculation into an institute of higher learning), so, as you implied, I would not be able to understand much of it at this point. However, with a version with the Vietnamese Han-Viet romanization, much it would make more sense. Vietnamese speakers don't suffer from the same difficulties that English speakers must overcome when trying to adapt their thinking to Chinese, much less Classical Chinese (which is studied in VN btw).

Hofmann! Good idea though, maybe that will have to be in the future. You caught me on the punctuation though...I don't have enough erudition to be a full purist yet though.

Back to topic though, so is there really nothing like what I'm describing? Even something with commentary?

Ah, makes sense.

Took a quick look, and it seems many/most that have a commentary also include the original. Just use the "search inside this book" feature to check.

I can't say for sure, but I would think what you describe would be very hard to find for the American market. I would think the number of people in the USA that would be willing to pay for it (since one can get it free), would want only the original text, and not be near a good Chinese bookstore seems very small to me. Maybe just one :mrgreen:

Indeed, does it even have to be a US bookstore? Any store than can ship internationally for cheap should do, right? I'd think books.com.tw would have something, if your Chinese is up to the task of ordering from a Taiwanese website. Shipping is cheap to the US (I used to pay something like $3 to have a movie shipped, and it would arrive within 3-4 days).

• 1 month later...