Chinese-Forums

Zhejiang Normal University

roddy

Thank you very much roddy and Paradas!

I am interested in the BTCSOL program, probably similar conditions with Paradas I think.

I would like to know some things before making any decision:

- How are the rooms in the dormitory? Is it like in the pictures here or here? Does everything work well?

- Is it possible to have a single room?

- Is the dorm near the classrooms?

- What about curfew and visitors?

- How long do you have to walk from the main entrance to basic necessities (bank, market, canteen, post-office, library, bus stops etc)?

- What can you do around without having to get a transportation? Anything like a park or something?

I am actually more interested in a convenient environment to live, than a chinese pratice. I lived in China for 2 years before and the place was really great, but they are not offering the program I want this year, it was a relatively small city but very nice, I think Jinhua might be similar.

I'm making BTCSOL. We have to study with Chinese sudents which is a risk, at least for me. I'd suggest that you consider again if you really want to make this degree. We have to join almost every class that Chinese students do, in cluding P.E. (0.8Km running every semester T_T)

- How are the rooms in the dormitory? Is it like in the pictures here or here? Does everything work well?

All foreign student lives in this dorm here but foreign students who making master degree with chinese student lives in the another one. Everything in the dorm is okay. But I can tell you some bad point; like there is no balcony, so you have to do the luandry in the laundry room only. And there is no enough space to dry clothes. So you gotta find a chance that no one use it.

- Is it possible to have a single room?

Yes, you just have to talk to the 阿姨。

- Is the dorm near the classrooms?

5-10 minutes walking

- What about curfew and visitors?

The dorm closes at 11 PM. But it's not so strict. If you will be late, you can tell the 阿姨 or 叔叔。

- How long do you have to walk from the main entrance to basic necessities (bank, market, canteen, post-office, library, bus stops etc)?

You can check out the university map. Everything is close together. And having a bike or E-bike is very convenient in the university.

- What can you do around without having to get a transportation? Anything like a park or something?

There are 2 lakes and in the university. And there are small parks which you can often see children hanging out there.

• Like 2

Thank you very much Paradas! Your information will be very important for my decision.

I'm really in doubt about this program, because I know that studying with the chinese requires so much hard work. I am first looking for what options of university do I have for then start considering if I really want embark on this.

Can we talk in real time some time? I would really appreciate to hear what's your opinion about the program.

Paradas, I just added you. I am already consdering many things, but still would like to hear from you.

roddy, we will post any new information about the university itself in this topic, if anything relevant still come.

Should we create a new topic to discuss about the BTCSOL in general? Anything specifically about the program of this university will be shared here as well.

Sorry for the late reply, I was unable to access the internet for these 4 days

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi, I am Mayra!, from Peru; I am planning to apply to this university for MBA in international business tought in english or chinese. I wanna apply next year for chinese goverment scholarship , for master. But I am not sure about it. so please help, if some know a currently student of mba , if it is worth or not in this university. I will really appreciate your help. 

Also right know I am in qinhuangdao, in june I am gonna travel to jinhua ( to visit the university), so it would be awsome if some of you can help me that day in june ( only if you have time :) ) . 

IF you know something about the masters , please tell me . 

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am from maldives and i have got admission to study degree in software engineering at ZNU for this fall semester. So i was wondering if this is a good university for SE Degree. And how many international students are there right now studying in ZNU. I have already read comments about the accomodation nd food from pradas and that was really helpful. Anyone who already have experience at this uuniversity, give me some good reasons why i should study software engineering here. Thanks :-)

• 1 month later...
Thanks Paradas!!! your comments were extremely helpful. I am Argentinian starting the International Master in Business Administration program. Maybe you can answer me this questions:

1. Is it easy to get a single room or do we have to ask for them in advance?. I am considering to arrive a couple of days before the arrival date (set for the 7 and 8 of september) just in order to get that kind of room. Do you think that's necessary?

2. What about the foreign student environment in Jinhua? I've read in the Jinhua Government web page that there are like 1600 international students in Jinhua (including Zhejiang Normal University and Yiwu Industrial & Commercial College students). Is that true? Are there western - style restaurants and bars? What about the nightlife?

I will be looking forward for your answer!

Hi there!!

I spend one year at that university from 2012 to 2013. Even though jinhua is considered a small town, it has been growing a lot the recent years.

1) If you have a scholarship your are entitled to a shared room, but if you are willing to pay a difference you can have a single room (depends of availability). Other solutions are looking for small rooms outside the university campus in Nanmen (south gate) or Beimen (north gate) , there are many of cheap and nice rooms, and they are walking distance from the university.

2) There are plenty of western restaurants (including fast food chains like KFC and macdonalds). There are also some nice bars and night clubs, but do not expect a night life like in Shanghai. There are plenty of international students and the enviroment is great.

If you need some help i can tell some of my friends that are still living in Jinhua.

Good luck!!! i loved my stay in Jinhua.

Thanks TYF!! Awesome to hear that the environment is great!!.

I have some concerns about other issues. hope you can give me a hand with these.

3. What about the level of the chinese language classes at ZNU? I am not sure about studying there. Is there any other place to study chinese in Jinhua?. I've already taken the HSK 4, and would like to take the level 6 in two years.

4. What about the pollution levels in JInhua? Do the sky look blue most days? It's kind of weird to ask something like this haha. Anyway, I like to run in the mountains, so the pollution levels will affect me directly. I have been keeping an eye on the "pollution index" (the 2.5 PM index) however I would like to know hear the experience of someone who lived there.

I will be looking forward for your answer!! :lol:

Hi Tristan!

3. I arrived China without any knowledge of the Chinese language, so at first i did not like the classes because even for begineers, the teachers did not speak a word of english. But now looking in retroespective I think it was for the best, because like all languages it depends more on how much time you spend studying on your own and on how often do you practice, in this case Jinhua is great because besides the international students and some of the masters teachers at school you wont find any english speakers, which will make you speak chinese all the time. So if its just going to ZNU to study chinese i think is a great option, but if you are planning to follow a bachelor or a master program, then ZNU is not a top (ivy league) university.

4. Like in most cities in China pollution levels are high, you can follow this pollution levels in several websites. But JInhua is not like Beijing or Shanghai where you see the smoke in the sky, most of the time they have clear skies, if is not rainning jejeje like most of the time. I use to run a lot while in jinhua and never felt bad because of the air or pollution, even though you do know hte index is high. For small runs, the university is big enough, or if you like longer runs you can go to the muntains next to the university. The campus is located outside the city center where the country side starts. 

Hope i was helpfull enough

btw I speak spanish so if you want more help or a more detailed description send me a pm.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the useful info. I am new to the forum and I have been awarded an opportunity by CSC to pursue my MBA in Marketing (English taught). I'm from Botswana which is located in Africa.

I want to ask if INDEED all my lectures will be conducted in English. I once heard that apparent English-taught programs aren't always English-taught. How true is this?

Thank you :)

TYF or Paradas, may you help me with this question?

5.  What about the cost of living in Jinhua? How much money did you spend per month? According to the scholarship I got, I will receive 3000 CNY per month, do you think that is enough? Or should I have some kind of extra income?

looking forward again or your answer!!  :P

Hi all!

Yeah! if your program is in english all your courses will be tought in english, maybe some chinese language courses, but yeah some times the english from the teachers is not that good.

Regarding the money, your are really lucky, when i went there in 2012 they only gave us 1800 RMB per month, which was enough just to survive but without doing anything else than stuying and staying inside the campus always and eating always in the student restaurants or cooking. So with 3000 RMB i believe you will have enough to have a good student life.

• Like 1