Chinese-Forums

Summer Camp Scholarship . . .?

hibicc

1 month full scholarship for students between 18-25

When : June 29 - July 29

Scholarship includes 1 month tuition + 1 month hotel accommodation (twin share basis) + everyday breakfast.

Optional add on supplement : 1500USD will get you : everyday lunch, dinner + 6 night events (peking opera, peking duck dinner , chinese acrobats show, chinese tea house etc) + every weekend outing (great wall, summer palace , forbidden city, tian an men, temples of heaven etc) + airport transfer + local sim card with chinese cellphone.

Scholarship doesn't includes any international airfare from student's home country to Beijing.

THIS SCHOLARSHIP IS ONLY FOR AMERICAN CITIZENS.

For more info write at info@hibicc.com

www.hibicc.com

# : +86 1821 0587 363 , + 86 10 5903 9267

Attending a summer camp. This is not a teaching camp or anything to do with teaching. An organization is giving grants to 25 US students age between 18-25 who are interested in learning Chinese for a month. This program is absolutely free. We will shortlist 25 students on basis of their essays.

Scholarship includes 1 month tuition + 1 month hotel accommodation (twin share basis) + everyday breakfast.

Optional add on supplement : 1500USD will get you : everyday lunch, dinner + 6 night events (peking opera, peking duck dinner , chinese acrobats show, chinese tea house etc) + every weekend outing (great wall, summer palace , forbidden city, tian an men, temples of heaven etc) + airport transfer + local sim card with chinese cellphone.

I would be .... if I were half my age and had a month I could take off from work!

Seriously, your audience for this is obviously college students studying at an American university. There is not a huge number of them here. I assume you are targeting them directly as well in other places?

We cannot disclose the name of the organization

I find that rather weird and disconcerting....

Is this a normal program through BICC that has been offered before, where only the scholarship is anonymous, or is this is new program?

If it's the former, I recommend you talk more about the program; I think people would accept an anonymous scholarship for a known program, as weird as that is.

If it's a new program, honestly, I think you're going to have issue finding enough good students willing to go to an "unknown" program (not to mention their parents willing to approve!). All you say is "through Beijing International Chinese College" -- to me, that could mean you are renting space in some of their classrooms, but otherwise have no affiliation.

Are the scholarships also only open to high-ranking US government officials?

We don't have a lot of high-ranking government officials under 25 here....

Wow ! We thought we might get few students from this forum but anyways, YES this government organization wants to be discreet and finding 25 students for full scholarship is a piece of cake, if you are too worried for this program, don't apply for it.

and - the scholarship grant is given by an government organization to BICC to hold the classes and to provide accommodation to american kids for summer camp.

Wow ! We thought we might get few students from this forum but anyways

I guess the thing is, after years of running the forums and seeing all manner of 'scholarships', 'internships' and 'free homestays' that turn out to be nothing of the sort, you'll need to forgive a few of us for being slightly skeptical, and for wanting to know a few more concrete details. After all, the more cynical among us would probably just see the whole thing as an attempt to on-sell as many optional add on US 1,500 packages as possible.

A Chinese government organization

To be fair, the OP never said it was a Chinese government organisation, it could well be a US one.

Well BICC is Beijing's biggest private language school and its the ONLY private school (except universities) in Beijing which can issue JW202 form to students. BICC has strong tie ups with the governmental organizations and you can look for the school's background on its website. THIS IS NOT A SCAM OR ANYTHING! Its a full fledge scholarship which is being offered to 25 american students by an organization (discreet) through BICC.

1500USD is OPTIONAL! Students don't have to pay 1500USD if they don't want.

THIS IS NOT A SCAM OR ANYTHING

Rather than writing in allcaps to prove your point, a more convincing way would have just been to provide more details about the scholarship in your posts.

Anyway, I realise the USD 1,500 is optional, I just found it curious that in your original post you basically provide more information regarding the optional package than the scholarship itself.

LMAO

Why do you accept only Americans? Organizations usually prefer giving scholarships to people from developing countries. What a discreet organization and discreet criteria! :clap

Angelina : LMAO for what? Whats funny about it?

Well do the maths, 30 luncheon , 30 dinner itself at a 4 start hotel would be more than 600USD . Last year the scholarship was for French people and this year it is for Americans. Its like every other scholarship. The applicant needs to write an essay and we will shortlist 25 students on basis of their essay. Whats so skeptical about it?

This program is absolutely non profitable. BICC is not a known school at the moment in Beijing but if you go on their website you'll get an idea about it.

Getting 25 students is a piece of cake and we can just contact any US university to get 25 students but we would like to have students from all over US rather than from just one place and that is the reason for this post.

Imron : Most of the students at BICC are diplomats and officials working at embassies in Beijing. If you can understand chinese then please have a look at http://www.bicc.org.cn/news.asp , this should be good enough to prove this school's credibility. Sorry for using all-caps but I was just annoyed that people find it so hard to believe that somethings in life comes for free.

BICC is not a teaching shop, like most of the schools in Beijing.

I agree with imron that the $1500 usd optional package seems suspect in how it's presented. It would be better if you break down the actual costs for the meals (showing the food items offered) and the exact details for the trips. Will someone seriously feel that they are missing out if they don't attend the group meals and field trips? Can someone pick and choose meals and field trips to attend?

While I don't believe this is a scam, I do feel that it would be very difficult for someone who has never been to China, who has no friends in China and who's Chinese language skills are limited to refuse the "optional" add-on.