Chinese-Forums

Which local cuisine do 地三鲜 and 红烧日本豆腐 belong to? I ♥ These!

greenarcher

These are the 2 dishes I loved so much back in Beijing but I couldn't find them in Chinese restaurants back home, I don't think even HK has these dishes.

Does anyone have any idea which Chinese cuisine/province they belong to or originally came from?

红烧 is common everywhere. It is a particular cooking method that is very common. I've had 红烧排骨,红烧土豆,红烧鱼,and many others. I think you can buy any of those pretty much anywhere in China, though of course they might be a little different from city to city. 红烧日本豆腐 doesn't sound like it belongs to any special local cuisine to me.

地三鲜 is a northeast dish. I'm not surprised you can't find it in the US. They cook this dish extremely well in my town, but in other cities it's not as good. It's difficult to find well-prepared 地三鲜 even in China, in my experience.

After my first visit to China, I spent weeks visiting Chinese restaurants looking for 地三鲜, and 红烧茄子 without any success.

me and my girlfriend ended up doing our own, there are a.bunch of good recipes online. just make sure to use Chinese eggplants.

I don't think even HK has these dishes.

HK doesn't have 地三鲜 or many other dishes that are common in the north. They don't even usually have 土豆丝.

But I guess that's mainly due to the fast that most people here are from the Pearl River Delta. As HK becomes increasingly mainlandized (at least to some extent), however, I'm sure it'll change.

They cook this dish extremely well in my town, but in other cities it's not as good. It's difficult to find well-prepared 地三鲜 even in China, in my experience.

A good 地三鲜 is definitely one of my favorite Chinese foods but is indeed hard to find. The variation in flavor between the same dishes (not just 地三鲜) in different restaurants, cities, regions of China etc is crazy but makes it fun when you do get something done really well.

The so-called “Japanese tofu” has nothing to do with Japan-it is different from ordinary tofu because it is made from chicken eggs rather than soy beans. Therefore in actuality, it is not tofu.

I simply think it's ridiculous to call the dish "Japanese tofu" given the fact that it was invented by Chinese.

You mean 玉子豆腐, right? Was it really invented in China? You are sure that webpage's info is right? I suppose you are not saying that because tofu was invented in China, no matter how it was improved by other countries, or even if there are other varieties, the credit must always go to China?

I also do not know why it is called 日本豆腐 but it is definitely made of eggs and not soy.

This is a photo of the dish: http://pic3.nipic.co...153154079_2.jpg

Typical Menu: http://wenku.baidu.com/view/6e43fc697e21af45b307a803.html

I'm not sure whether 家常采 serves it (I avoid these kinds of restaurants) but the school (BLCU) canteen restaurants do it very well. They serve it alongside other more popular dishes (specially for foreign students but I personally do not like) such as 鱼香肉丝,麻婆豆腐,西红炒鸡蛋,etc.

Most of the Chinese cuisine here in our country are Southern-style cooking so I guess that's the reason why I do not appreciate a lot of Dongbei dishes. Eastern/Shanghainese dishes are OK though.

It's made of eggs? That's hilarious, all the times I've wittered on about how tofu gets a bad rep in the west and China make you realize how tasty it can be - usually while waving a piece of 日本豆腐 about between my chopsticks. Man, that's a kick in the teeth for the vegans.

Who knows why it's called 日本豆腐, but 玉子 means eggs in Japanese.

• 3 weeks later...

I love tofu, but the two forms I cannot stand are 麻婆豆腐 and 日本豆腐。 Really, 麻婆豆腐 is alright, but I have had it too much, but 日本豆腐 is so gross! I mean, I eat anything, but 日本豆腐 has that kind of "slimy" feel to it, which I can't really stand. But, now that I know it is not really Japanese, maybe I will have to get it another shot.

Still, there are SO many bettter ways to prepare 豆腐。 I think it is something like 娃菜豆腐 like I liked a lot, a lot of the 粥 shops have it. Of course there is the wonderful 臭豆腐, which either fried or not is delicious. Not to mention 家常豆腐。 I am so missing Beijing right about now.